May 8-11, 2017 Joint APS/CNM Users Meeting
The annual joint users meetings of the Center for Nanoscale Materials and the co-located Advanced Photon Source are held at Argonne National Laboratory. Anyone is welcome to register for these meetings, which attract more than 400 registrants and 50+ vendor booths for myriad activities including technical workshops that highlight, promote, and stimulate user science; plenary sessions; poster sessions; a vendor expo; social events; and CNM short courses. A Best Student Poster Award competition is held for students who benefit from accessing the CNM.
Morning APS/CNM Plenary
- Eli Yablonovitch, University of California - Berkeley
Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
"The Scientific Challenge of Replacing the Transistor with a Lower Voltage Device"
CNM Plenary Session
Monday afternoon, May 8, 2017, APS Conference Center, Room A1100
- Latha Venkataraman, Columbia University
Professor of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
"Physics and Chemistry of Single-Molecule Circuits"
- Anand Bhattacharya, Argonne National Laboratory
Physicist, Materials Science Science Division
"Spin Seebeck Effect in the Absence of Ferromagnetism"
- Yasuo Ito, Northern Illinois University; Chair, CNM Users Executive Committee
Update from the CNM Users Executive Committee
- Diana Berman, University of North Texas
Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
"2D Materials Superlubricity and How to Find It”
- Yuan Zhang, Nanoscience & Technology Division, Argonne National Laboratory
"STM Manipulation of Individual Molecules: From Oligomers to Molecular Machines"
- Invited Graduate Student Talk
- Banquet at Meson Sabika
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
CNM Workshop: Transient Spectroscopy and Non-Equilibrium Dynamics of 2D Materials
- Co-organizers: Gary Wiederrecht (CNM) and Goran Karapetrov (Drexel University & ANL/MSD)
CNM Workshop: Machine Learning and Data Science in Materials Modeling, Imaging and Applications
- Co-organizers: Subramanian Sankaranarayanan (CNM); Mathew Cherukara (XSD); Badri Narayanan (MSD); Tom Peterka (MCS)
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
CNM Workshop: Materials with Unique Nano-architectures: Fabrication, Theory and Characterization
- Co-organizers: Xiao-Min Lin (CNM); Subramanian Sankaranarayanan (CNM); Zhang Jiang (XSD)
Joint APS/CNM Workshop: Nanodiffraction in Materials, Chemistry, and Physics: Scientific Opportunities
- Co-organizers: Paul Evans (UW-Madison); Martin Holt (CNM); Zhonghou Cai (XSD)
Joint APS/CNM Workshop: Multimodal, Operando Imaging Materials, Devices and Architectures for Neuromorphic Computing
- Co-organizers: Hua Zhou (XSD); Yuzi Liu (CNM); Youssef Nashed (MCS); Subramanian Sankaranarayanan (CNM)
CNM Short Courses
Thursday, May 11, 2017
$40 fee in addition to meeting registration fee
- Course A: Introduction to Confocal Raman Microscopy (Instructor: David Gosztola)
- Course B: Introduction to Atomic Layer Deposition and Applications (Instructor: Liliana Stan)
- Course C: Using the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe (Instructor: Martin Holt)
The links to the programs of previous meetings are available in the left navigation bar.