Yoon Il Chang
Yoon Il Chang joined Argonne National Laboratory in 1974 and led the laboratory’s advanced reactor design and fuel cycle technology development activities.
Chang’s outstanding technical leadership was instrumental in the conception, definition and subsequent direction of integral fast reactor (IFR) development at Argonne. With the support of an innovative development team, he demonstrated to the national and international reactor community that advanced reactors of the IFR type are ideal for resolving every question that has been raised regarding next-generation nuclear power, particularly resource utilization, inherent passive safety, waste management, proliferation resistance and economics.
His numerous positions at Argonne include:
- Argonne Distinguished Fellow, 2006-present
- Associate Laboratory Director at Large, 2002-2006
- Interim Laboratory Director, 1999-2000
- Associate Laboratory Director for Engineering Research, 1998-2002
- General Manager of the Integral Fast Reactor Program, 1984-1994
- Director of Large Pool Plant Project, 1982-84
- Associate Director of the Applied Physics Division, 1978-1984