Site Access Policy
We welcome thousands of visitors to the laboratory every year. Visiting researchers may consult with their host to arrange a gate pass; members of the general public are invited to take a tour or attend one of our OutLoud public lectures.
Argonne National Laboratory is a controlled access facility, and approval for site access is required. All visitors must be pre-authorized before being allowed on the Argonne site.
- For information regarding site access for a U.S. citizen, contact the Argonne Information Center at (630) 252-5755.
- Site access for foreign nationals who do not already have site access approval requires the completion of a Visit/Assignment Request (ANL-593) and 7- to 30-day advance notice to process the request. For information, call the Foreign Visit and Assignment Office at (630) 242-1142. The laboratory's site access policy supports its obligation to ensure that classified and sensitive technologies, equipment, and information are controlled in compliance with the applicable regulations.
Important Note Regarding ID Cards
The 2005 REAL ID Act prohibited federal agencies from accepting non-REAL-ID Act compliant driver’s licenses as proof of identity for access to restricted (i.e., non-public access) areas of their facilities.
As of January 13, 2016, the laboratory received approval to accept licenses from non-compliant states provided:
- A gate pass has been requested and approved
- The host is aware of the visit and visitor (no “placeholder” hosts)
In addition, Argonne accepts the following alternate access control options:
- U.S. passport
- Original school- or university-issued ID or state-issued firearms/concealed carry llcense that contaisn a photograph PLUS a birth certificate
- Original school- or university-issued ID or state-issued firearms/concealed carry llcense that contains a photograph PLUS a Social Security card
- All federally issued identification
- All HSPD-12 cards
- All photo IDs from other DOE/NNSA Laboratories
International Visits and Assignments
Argonne is firmly committed to fulfilling U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) directives and requirements regarding international visits and assignments. Unclassified international visits and assignments are to be used to advance laboratory program objectives consistent with U.S. foreign and nonproliferation policy, international energy policy and agreements, and national security policy and objectives. Protection of counterintelligence interests, security interests, and sensitive subject information and technologies in a manner consistent with program requirements, including compliance with export laws and regulations, is the responsibility of all employees. Under no circumstances should foreign nationals be allowed on any Argonne site without the appropriate reviews and approvals. Sponsorship of laboratory operations/functions by DOE does not mitigate, supersede, or remove the laboratory's responsibility to adhere to the policy. Contact the Office of Foreign Visits and Assignments at (630) 252-1142 for information.