Exemplary Student Research Program
About the Program
Using the world-class facilities at Argonne’s Advanced Photon Source (APS) and Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNM), high school students and their teachers work with Argonne scientists to prepare a research proposal, design an experiment, set up the experiment, gather and analyze data, make conclusions, and prepare a final poster. In this program, school teams are considered to be part of the larger Argonne international synchrotron light source user community. Team posters are presented along with the rest of the user community at the annual Argonne APS/CNM User Meeting in Spring of 2019.
This program is designed to enhance Honors or Advance Placement STEM classes. Ideal candidates for this program are teachers who are willing to facilitate the research process with their students, can be an intermediate between Argonne and their students, and will use this program to enhance their current curriculum.
During the summer, teachers will attend a FREE workshop to:
- learn about the APS and CNM and their capabilities;
- get ideas for possible projects and research questions;
- meet Argonne scientists in the program;
- learn the APS and CNM user application process;
- learn the logistics of taking a field trip to Argonne.
During the program, teacher and high school students will:
- design and conduct their own research with the guidance of teachers and scientists;
- use world-class facilities at the Advanced Photon Source and Center for Nanoscale Materials;
- be immersed in the research at Argonne;
- encounter an authentic experience that may extend to multiple years.
Registration for Teachers
To qualify for the ESRP program, one participating teacher per school must:
- hold a valid state teaching certificate for grades 9-12
- attend a two-day summer workshop to learn about the science, the available research techniques and tools and meet the scientists.
2018 Participating High Schools
- Aqsa High School
- Glenbard East High School
- Glenbard South High School
- Glenbrook South High School
- Hoffman Estates High School
- Lemont High School
- Lincoln-Way East High School
- Lockport Township High School
- Maine East High School
- Naperville Central High School
- Neuqua Valley High School
- Oak Lawn Community High School
- Romeoville High School
- Schurz High School
- Tinley Park High School