Farm to Flight Virtual Resources
The national push to reduce dependence of fossil fuels has raised awareness across all industries. The airline industry has recently convened scientific and industry experts to explore the issue. Argonne National Laboratory and IBio Institute Educate Center has developed a 4 week curriculum, Farm to Flight - Can Biofuels Green Aviation? exploring this real world challenge. Below are virtual resources that support the curriculum through policy statements, scientific background and career connections.
- Midwest Aviation Sustainable Biofuels Initiative 2013 Report (pdf)
- Air Transportation Action Group (ATAG) - Beginners Guide to Aviation Biofuels (pdf)
- Environmental Protection Agency - Regulations and Standards: Aircraft (website)
Learning Set 1: The Problem Challenge - Can Biofuels Green Aviation?
- Activity 1 - EcoLingo - Biofuels versus Biomass (video)
- Activity 1 - Climate Change Background Info (video)
- Activity 2 - GREET Life Cycle (website)
- Activity 2 - Argonne Science: Careers in Biofuels (video)
Learning Set 2: The Chemistry of Combustion: Are All Liquid Fuels Created Equal?
- Activity 2 - iBIO Career Profile: Agricultural Science
- Activity 2 - Argonne Science: Meet Biofuel Researchers (video)
- Activity 4 - Fischer-Tropsch Reactions (animation)
Learning Set 3: Exploring Biodiesel: How Does It Compare with Other Fuels?
- Activity 1 - Making Biodiesel (blog)
- Activity 2 - Argonne Science: Catalysts (video)
- Activity 2 - Super Computers and Biofuels (article)
Learning Set 4: Aviation Technology and Feasibility: Can Jets and Airplanes Use Biofuels?
- Activity 2 - Argonne Science: Mechanical Engineering (video)
- Activity 3 - NetLogo (modeling environment)
- Activity 3 - Gas Lab Adiabatic Piston Model (modeling environment)
- Activity 3 - Omnivorous Engines (video)
- Activity 4 - Fuel Injection (animation)
- Activity 4 - iBIO Career Profile: Argicultural Engineering
Learning Set 5: Articulating Thinking: Can Biofuels Green Aviation?
- Activity 1 - iBIO Career Profile: Agricultural Science