Winter Road Closings
Under the Seasonal Closure Plan for roads and parking lots, several areas will be closed for the entire winter season while other areas will be cleared within a few days after the end of a winter storm. All three of the laboratory’s entrance gates will remain open according to their normal operating schedules during the winter season.
Areas that will remain closed during the entire winter season are as follows:
- The parallelogram parking lot near Old Bluff Road north of Buildings 360 and 362,
- Bluff Road north of Buildings 360 and 362 parking areas,
- The gravel drive west of Building 205,
- The north half of the Building 206 west parking lot,
- The parking lot north of Building 350,
- Partial parking lot closures north of Building 208 and south of Building 528,
- Tech Road, and
- Street parking along Rock Road near Buildings 302 and 335.
The following areas will be temporarily closed during winter storms; they will be cleared within a few days after the storm but will not be salted. The affected areas are:
- Water Tower Road,
- The Building 375 bypass drive,
- The parking area east of Building 046,
- The parking area southwest of Building 375,
- Old Bluff Road east of Buildings 366 and 595,
- The APS overflow parking lot,
- The Building 617 lower parking lot,
- Railroad Drive south of Bluff Road, and
- Kearney Road north of Westgate Road.
These roads and parking lots will remain closed until precipitation clears, the surfaces dry naturally and they are deemed safe to use.
Please note: indication of tire tracks does not mean that a road or parking lot is open and accessible. Security, emergency or utility vehicles may bypass the barricades as necessary, but all others are prohibited from doing so. Driving around barricades may result in a Traffic Safety Violation ticket and/or disciplinary action. Barricades will be removed when the roads and parking lots have been cleared and are open for traffic.