Giovanni Ramirez is a Colombian researcher who received a Ph.D. in Engineering, specializing in thin films/coatings, corrosion and surface engineering, from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Currently, he is a postdoctoral researcher at Argonne’s Tribology Section at Energy Systems Division.
At Argonne, he is working on numerous research projects dealing with development and characterization of thin films and coatings for different applications. He has participation in research activities that are both basic and applied in nature, and directed toward reducing energy consumption and understanding of the underlying fundamental mechanisms involved in the tribological behavior of many types of coatings and lubricants.
His areas of interest/expertise are: high performance tribological coatings, nanolubrication, thin film deposition, super hard coatings, nanocomposite materials, corrosion resistance coatings, biocompatible materials and coatings, and surface characterization
- PhD in Chemical Engineering – Area: Materials, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico, 2012 Thesis: “Nanostructured coatings prepared using assisted plasma techniques” Advisor: Dr. Sandra Rodil
- MSc, Materials Engineering and Manufacturing Process, National University of Colombia, Bogota, Colombia, 2008 Thesis: “Biocompatibility of niobium oxide thin films deposited by sputtering on 316L stainless steel”
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, National University of Colombia, Bogota, Colombia, 2005
Honors and Awards
- National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) Doctoral Fellowship, Mexico, 2008-2012
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, since 2013
- American Vacuum Society, since 2013
- Mexican Society of Vacuum and Surfaces, since 2007
- Society of Tribology and Lubrication Engineers, since 2014
- National Postdoctoral Association, since 2014
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, since 2015
- Postdoctoral Society of Argonne (Board Member 2015, Officer: Secretary and Argonne Postdoctoral Symposium Coordinator 2016), since 2014
- Ali Erdemir, Giovanni Ramirez, Osman L. Eryilmaz, Yifeng Liao, Badri Narayanan, Subramanian Sankaranarayanan. Carbon-based Tribofilms from Lubricating Oils. Nature (In-press, 2016).
- Ala Alazizi, Andrew Draskovics, Giovanni Ramirez, Ali Erdemir, Seong H. Kim. Tribochemistry of carbon films in oxygen and humid environments: Oxidative wear and galvanic corrosion. Langmuir 32 (8) (2016) 1996-2004.
- Harpal Singh, Giovanni Ramirez, Osman Eryilmaz, Aaron Greco, Gary Doll, Ali Erdemir. Novel Fatigue Resistant Carbon Coatings for Gear and Bearing Applications. Tribology International 98 (2016) 172-178.
- Yoon-Jun Kim, Sung-Il Baik, Leonardo Bertolucci-Coelho, Luca Mazzaferro, Giovanni Ramirez, Ali Erdermir, David N. Seidman. Atom-Probe Tomography of Tribological Boundary Films Resulting from Boron-Based Oil Additives. Scripta Materialia 111 (2016) 64-67.
- G. Ramírez, D. Oezer, M. Rivera, S.E. Rodil, R. Sanjinés. TaSiN nanocomposite thin films: Correlation between structure, chemical composition, and physical properties. Thin Solid Films 558 (2014) 104-111.
- G. Ramírez , S.E. Rodil, S. Muhl, D. Turcio-Ortega, J.J. Olaya, M. Rivera, E. Camps, L. Escobar-Alarcón, Amorphous niobium oxide thin films, Journal of non-crystalline Solids 356 (50-51) (2010) 2714-2721.
- G. Ramírez , S.E. Rodil, H. Arzate, S. Muhl, J. J. Olaya, Niobium Based Coatings for Dental Implants, Applied Surface Science 257 (2011) 2555-2559.