EV-Smart Grid Interoperability Center
Argonne is home to the U.S. Department of Energy's new Electric Vehicle (EV) Smart Grid Interoperability Center. The Center plays a key role in supporting global harmonization of standards and technology for the EV-grid interface, as well as charging interoperability to ensure future electric vehicles and charging stations worldwide work together seamlessly.
Argonne researchers provide support to emerging technology development in grid connectivity, bridging the needs of the EV manufacturers and the utilities. The focus of this research and development effort is in providing practical applications that enhance the market acceptance of plug-in vehicles and the charging infrastructure, including:
- Enabling technology development to support EV-Grid integration,
- Enabling communication to manage vehicle charging loads,
- Reducing the cost of electric vehicle charging infrastructure,
- Enhancing the viability of fast/consumer-friendly charging, and
- Harmonization of global connectivity standards.