Ray Osborn is a Senior Physicist the Neutron and X-ray Scattering Group in the Materials Science Division of Argonne National Laboratory, where he has worked since 1992.
His research is in the field of strongly correlated electron systems probing spin, charge and orbital correlations using neutrons and x-rays. His scientific interests have included quantum critical scaling in non-Fermi liquid compounds, the role of polaron correlations in colossal magnetoresistance, dynamic frustration in rare earth spin glasses, electron-phonon coupling in charge-density-waves, and the competition between magnetism and superconductivity in iron arsenides. He has also been active in developing new instrumental techniques to further his research goals, such as the development of more efficient methods of measuring single crystal diffuse scattering both with neutrons and high-energy x-rays. In collaboration with Stephan Rosenkranz, he was responsible for the proposal and conceptual design of the Corelli diffractometer at the Spallation Neutron Source.
Osborn, who has more than 180 publications with over 6000 citations, is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and the Neutron Scattering Society of America, and was awarded the University of Chicago Distinguished Performance Award in 2006 for his CMR research. He was a scientific director of the National School of Neutron and X-ray Scattering for seven years. He was one of the original developers of the NeXus data format as a standard for neutron and x-ray scattering data and was the founding chair of the NeXus International Advisory Committee.
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Fellow of the Neutron Scattering Society of America
- University of Chicago Distinguished Performance Award (2006)
- Physics, B.Sc. with 1st Class Honours, Imperial College of Science and Technology, London, UK, 1979
- Solid State Physics, Ph.D., University of Southampton, UK, 1989
- Scientific Director, National School of Neutron and X-ray Scattering (2001-2007).
- Chair, Publication Committee, International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, Ann Arbor, MI (2001).
- Member, International Advisory Board, International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, Vienna (2005).
- Member, Publication Committee, International Conference on Neutron Scattering, Sydney (2005).
- Chair, NeXus International Advisory Committee (2003-2006).
- Organizer, Workshop on “Competing Interactions and Colossal Responses in Transition Metal Compounds,” Telluride, CO (2006).
- Member, International Advisory Board, International Collaboration on Advanced Neutron Sources, Grindelwald, Switzerland (2010).
- Member, International Advisory Board, International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, Santa Fé, NM (2010).
- Member, International Advisory Committee, Workshop on “New Opportunities for Better User Group Software”, Gatlinburg, TN (2010).
Selected Invited Talks
- Imaging Nanoscale Disorder in Reciprocal Space
January 11, 2017, Argonne, IL
- Evidence for Itinerant Magnetism in the C4 Phase of Hole-Doped Iron Arsenides
International Conference on “Spectroscopies in Novel Superconductors”
June 19-24, 2016, Stuttgart, Germany
- A Reentrant C4 Phase in Hole-Doped BaFe2As2
11th International Conference on Materials & Mechanisms of Superconductivity
August 23-28, 2015, Geneva, Switzerland
- A New Magnetic Phase in Hole-Doped BaFe2As2: Implications for the Origin of Nematicity
2015 March Meeting of the American Physical Society
March 2–6, 2015, San Antonio, TX
- Novel Magnetic States Close to the Quantum Phase Transition in Iron Pnictides
Workshop on Quantum Criticality in Correlated Materials and Model Systems
Natal, Brazil, July 21–31, 2014
- Neutron Scattering as a Probe of Fermi Surface Nesting in Iron-Based Superconductors
2013 March Meeting of the American Physical Society
Baltimore, MD, March 18–22, 2013
- Unconventional superconductivity in hole-doped BaFe2As2 from inelastic neutron scattering
Materials and Mechanisms of Superconductivity Conference (M2S 2012)
Washington, DC, July 29-August 3, 2012
- Unconventional Superconductivity Cast in Iron
25th Anniversary Symposium of EPL
Munich, Germany, May 2-4, 2011
- The Effect of Fermi Surface Nesting on Resonant Spin Excitations in Ba1-xKxFe2As2
13th International Workshop on Vortex Matter in Superconductors
Chicago, July 31-August 5, 2011
- The Doping Dependence of Resonant Spin Excitations in Ba1-xKxFe2As2
Workshop on Emergent Quantum States in Complex Correlated Matter
Dresden, Germany, August 23 - 27, 2010
- Resonant Spin Excitations in Iron Arsenide Superconductors
Workshop on Competing Interactions and Colossal Responses in Transition Metal Compounds
Telluride, CO, August 10-14, 2009
- Resonant Spin Excitations in Iron Arsenide Superconductors
International Workshop on Iron Related High-Tc Superconductors
Tokyo, Japan, Jan. 28th, 2009.
- Spin glass order induced by dynamic frustration in PrAu2Si2
IOP Meeting on Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism
Abingdon, UK, August 11-12, 2008
- Corelli: Single Crystal Diffraction with Elastic Discrimination
International Conference on Neutron Scattering
Sydney, Australia, November 27-December 2, 2005
- The Coupling of Spin and Orbital Degrees of Freedom in a Layered Ruthenate: An Inelastic Neutron Scattering Study
2004 MRS Fall Meeting
Boston, MA, November 29-December 3, 2004
- Prospects for Single Crystal Diffuse Scattering with Elastic Discrimination
American Conference on Neutron Scattering
College Park, MD, June 6-10, 2004.
- Polarized Neutron Studies of Quantum Critical Scaling
Workshop on Polarised Neutrons and Synchrotron X-rays for Magnetism
Venice, Italy, August 4-6, 2003.
- Nanoscale Frustration: Competing Charge, Orbital, and Magnetic Order in Layered CMR Manganites
2002 Annual Meeting of the American Crystallographic Association
San Antonio, TX, May 25-30, 2002
- Phonons and Superconductivity in MgB2
2002 March Meeting of the American Physical Society
Indianapolis, IN, March 18-22, 2002
- Magnetic Inelastic Neutron Scattering - Present Results and Future Trends
International Workshop on Science in Neutron-arena of JHP
Tsukuba, Japan, March 26-27, 1996
- Non-Fermi Liquid Effects in f-Electron Materials
1996 March Meeting of the American Physical Society
St. Louis, MO, March 18-22, 1996
Double-Q spin-density wave in iron arsenide superconductors
J. M. Allred, K. M. Taddei, D. E. Bugaris, M. J. Krogstad, S. H. Lapidus, D. Y. Chung, H. Claus, M. G. Kanatzidis, D. E. Brown, J. Kang, R. M. Fernandes, I. Eremin, S. Rosenkranz, O. Chmaissem, and R. Osborn
Nature(630 Physics 12, 493-498 (2016).
Emergence of coherence in the charge-density wave state of 2H-NbSe2
U. Chatterjee, J. Zhao, M. Iavarone, R. Di Capua, J.-P. Castellan, G. Karapetrov, C. D. Malliakas, M. G. Kanatzidis, H. Claus, J. P. C. Ruff, F. Weber, J. van Wezel, J.-C. Campuzano, R. Osborn, M. Randeria, N. Trivedi, M. R. Norman, and S. Rosenkranz
Nat Comm 6, 6313 (2015).
Magnetically driven suppression of nematic order in an iron-based superconductor
S. Avci, O. Chmaissem, J.M. Allred, S. Rosenkranz, I. Eremin, A.V. Chubukov, D.E. Bugaris, D.Y. Chung, M.G. Kanatzidis, J.-P Castellan, J.A. Schlueter, H. Claus, D.D. Khalyavin, P. Manuel, A. Daoud-Aladine and R. Osborn
Nat Comm 5, 3845 (2014).
Symmetry of reentrant tetragonal phase in Ba1−xNaxFe2As2: Magnetic versus orbital ordering mechanism
D. D. Khalyavin, S. W. Lovesey, P. Manuel, F. Krüger, S. Rosenkranz, J. M. Allred, O. Chmaissem, and R. Osborn
Phys Rev B 90, 174511 (2014).
Chiral Phase Transition in Charge Ordered 1T-TiSe2
John-Paul Castellan, Stephan Rosenkranz, Ray Osborn, Qing’an Li, K. E. Gray, X. Luo, U. Welp, Goran Karapetrov, J. P. C. Ruff, and Jasper van Wezel
Phys Rev Lett 110, 196404 (2013).
Electron-Phonon Coupling in the Conventional Superconductor YNi2B2C at High Phonon Energies Studied by Time-of-Flight Neutron Spectroscopy
F. Weber, S. Rosenkranz, L. Pintschovius, J.-P. Castellan, R. Osborn, W. Reichardt, R. Heid, K.-P. Bohnen, E. Goremychkin, A. Kreyssig, K. Hradil, and D. L. Abernathy
Phys Rev Lett 109, 057001 (2012).
- Phase diagram of Ba1−xKxFe2As2
S. Avci, O. Chmaissem, D. Y. Chung, S. Rosenkranz, E. A. Goremychkin, J.-P. Castellan, I. S. Todorov, J. A. Schlueter, H. Claus, A. Daoud-Aladine, D. D. Khalyavin, M. G. Kanatzidis, and R. Osborn
Phys Rev B 85, 184507 (2012).
- Electron-Phonon Coupling and the Soft Phonon Mode in TiSe2
F. Weber, S. Rosenkranz, J.-P. Castellan, R. Osborn, G. Karapetrov, R. Hott, R. Heid, K.-P. Bohnen, and A. Alatas
Phys Rev Lett 107, 266401 (2011).
- Response of Acoustic Phonons to Charge and Orbital Order in the 50% Doped Bilayer Manganite LaSr2Mn2O7
F. Weber, S. Rosenkranz, J.-P. Castellan, R. Osborn, H. Zheng, J. F. Mitchell, Y. Chen, S. Chi, J. Lynn, and D. Reznik
Phys Rev Lett 107, 207202 (2011).
- Effect of Fermi Surface Nesting on Resonant Spin Excitations in Ba1-xKxFe2As2
J.-P. Castellan, S. Rosenkranz, E. Goremychkin, D. Chung, I. Todorov, M. Kanatzidis, I. Eremin, J. Knolle, A. V. Chubukov, S. Maiti, M. Norman, F. Weber, H. Claus, T. Guidi, R. I. Bewley, and R. Osborn
Phys Rev Lett 107, 177003 (2011).
- Magnetoelastic coupling in the phase diagram of Ba1−xKxFe2As2 as seen via neutron diffraction
S. Avci, O. Chmaissem, E. Goremychkin, S. Rosenkranz, J.-P. Castellan, D. Chung, I. Todorov, J. Schlueter, H. Claus, M. Kanatzidis, A. Daoud-Aladine, D. Khalyavin, and R. Osborn
Phys Rev B 83, 172503 (2011).
- The Transition from Heavy Fermion to Mixed Valence in Ce1−xYxAl3: A Quantitative Comparison with the Anderson Impurity Model
E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, I. L. Sashin, P. Riseborough, B. D. Rainford, D. T. Adroja, J. M. Lawrence
Phys Rev Lett 104, 176402 (2010).
- Inelastic neutron scattering studies of the spin and lattice dynamics in iron arsenide compounds
R. Osborn, S. Rosenkranz, E. A. Goremychkin, A. D, Christianson
Physica C 469, 498-506 (2009).
- Two-dimensional resonant magnetic excitation in BaFe1.84Co0.16As2
M. D. Lumsden, A. D. Christianson, D. Parshall, M. B. Stone, S. E. Nagler, G. J. Macdougall, H. A. Mook, K. Lokshin, T. Egami, D. L. Abernathy, E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, M. A. McGuire, A. S. Sefat, R. Jin, B. C. Sales, D. Mandrus
Phys Rev Lett 102, 107005 (2009).
- Unconventional superconductivity in Ba0.6K0.4Fe2As2 from inelastic neutron scattering
A. D. Christianson, E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, S. Rosenkranz, M. D. Lumsden, C. D. Malliakas, I. S. Todorov, H. Claus, D. Y. Chung, M. G. Kanatzidis, R. I. Bewley, and T. Guidi
Nature 456, 930-932 (2008).
- Spin-glass order induced by dynamic frustration
E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, B. D. Rainford, R. T. Macaluso, D. T. Adroja, and M. Koza
Nature Physics 4, 766-770 (2008).
- Reentrant orbital order and the true ground state of LaSr2Mn2O7
Q. Li, K. E. Gray, H. Zheng, H. Claus, S. Rosenkranz, S. N. Ancona, R. Osborn, J. F. Mitchell, Y. Chen and J. W. Lynn
Phys Rev Lett 98, 167201 (2007).
- Nanomagnetic droplets and implications to orbital ordering in La1-xSrxCoO3
D. Phelan, D. Louca, S. Rosenkranz, S. H. Lee, Y. Qiu, P. J. Chupas, R. Osborn, H. Zheng, J. F. Mitchell, J. R. D. Copley, J. L. Sarrao and Y. Moritomo
Phys Rev Lett 96, 027201 (2006).
- First-order metal-insulator transitions in manganites: Are they universal?
Q. A. Li, K. E. Gray, S. N. Ancona, H. Zheng, S. Rosenkranz, R. Osborn and J. F. Mitchell
Phys Rev Lett 96, 087201 (2006).
- Localized excitation in the hybridization gap in YbAl3
A. D. Christianson, V. R. Fanelli, J. M. Lawrence, E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, E. D. Bauer, J. L. Sarrao, J. D. Thompson, C. D. Frost and J. L. Zarestky
Phys Rev Lett 96, 117206 (2006).
- Crystal field potential of PrOs4Sb12: Consequences for superconductivity
E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, E. D. Bauer, M. B. Maple, N. A. Frederick, W. M. Yuhasz, F. M. Woodward and J. W. Lynn
Phys Rev Lett 93, 157003 (2004).
- Orbital ordering transition in La4Ru2O10
P. Khalifah, R. Osborn, Q. Huang, H. W. Zandbergen, R. Jin, Y. Liu, D. Mandrus and R. J. Cava
Science 297, 2237-2240 (2002).
- Magnetic correlations and the anisotropic Kondo effect in Ce1-xLaxAl3
E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, B. D. Rainford, T. A. Costi, A. P. Murani, C. A. Scott and P. J. C. King
Phys Rev Lett 89, 147201 (2002).
- Structure of nanoscale polaron correlations in La1.2Sr1.8Mn2O7
B. J. Campbell, R. Osborn, D. N. Argyriou, L. Vasiliu-Doloc, J. F. Mitchell, S. K. Sinha, U. Ruett, C. D. Ling, Z. Islam and J. W. Lynn
Phys Rev Lett 65, 014427 (2002).
- Phonon density of states in MgB2
R. Osborn, E. A. Goremychkin, A. I. Kolesnikov and D. G. Hinks
Phys Rev Lett 87, 017005 (2001).
- Magnetic correlations and the quantum critical point of UCu5-xPdx (x = 1, 1.5)
M. C. Aronson, R. Osborn, R. Chau, M. B. Maple, B. D. Rainford and A. P. Murani
Phys Rev Lett 87, 197205 (2001).
- Evidence for Anisotropic Kondo Behavior in Ce0.8La0.2Al3 E. A. Goremychkin, R. Osborn, B. D. Rainford and A. P. Murani Physical Review Letters 84, 2211-2214 (2000).
- Charge melting and polaron collapse in La1.2Sr1.8Mn2O7
L. Vasiliu-Doloc, S. Rosenkranz, R. Osborn, S. K. Sinha, J. W. Lynn, J. Mesot, O. H. Seeck, G. Preosti, A. J. Fedro and J. F. Mitchell
Phys Rev Lett 83, 4393-4396 (1999).
- Neutron scattering investigation of magnetic bilayer correlations in La1.2Sr1.8Mn2O7: Evidence of Canting above TC
R. Osborn, S. Rosenkranz, D. N. Argyriou, L. Vasiliuâ€“Doloc, J. W. Lynn, S. K. Sinha, J. F. Mitchell, K. E. Gray and S. D. Bader
Phys Rev Lett 81, 3964-3967 (1998).
- Non-Fermi liquid scaling of the magnetic response in UCu5-xPdx (x=1,1.5) M. C. Aronson, R. Osborn, R. A. Robinson, J. W. Lynn, R. Chau, C. L. Seaman and M. B. Maple Physical Review Letters 75, 725-728 (1995).
- Crystal-Field Excitations in CeCu2Si2
E. A. Goremychkin and R. Osborn
Phys Rev Lett 47, 14280-14290 (1993).
- Intermultiplet transitions using neutron spectroscopy
R. Osborn, S. W. Lovesey, A. D. Taylor and E. Balcar
Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths, edited by K. A. Gschneidner, Jr. and L. Eyring (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1991), Vol. 14, p. 1-61.
- Intermultiplet transitions in praseodymium using neutron spectroscopy
A. D. Taylor, R. Osborn, K. A. McEwen, W. G. Stirling, Z. A. Bowden, W. G. Williams, E. Balcar and S. W. Lovesey
Phys Rev Lett 61, 1309-1312 (1988).
- Observation of oxygen Frenkel disorder in uranium dioxide above 2000K by use of neutron-scattering techniques
K. Clausen, W. Hayes, J. E. Macdonald, R. Osborn and M. T. Hutchings
Phys Rev Lett 52, 1238 (1984).