Graduate Cooperative Education
The Cooperative Education Program combines academic study with employment. The employment is a practical application directed towards the student’s academic course of study. The appointment is supervised and evaluated by both Argonne and the student’s institution. The program provides students with an opportunity to test skills learned in the classroom, and to expand their knowledge through related work experience. The experience provides students with an opportunity to practice the latest theories and approaches in their particular discipline.
Argonne has two types of Co-op Programs:
- Alternating (semester at Argonne, followed by semester at college/university)
- Parallel (part-time work to a maximum of 19 hours per week during the school year concurrent with full-time college/university enrollment). Students can work full-time during the summer.
Students are expected to work a minimum of one year as a parallel Co-op or three semesters as an alternating Co-op. Graduate Co-op opportunities are available to students while they are attending graduate schools in the Chicago area.
Interested applicants should review and apply to the current open Co-op positions. Positions are posted throughout the year. Please check back periodically.
Salaries are competitive and are based upon the field of study and academic year status of the student.
Students are responsible for securing and funding their own housing.
- Cumulative minimum grade point average of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale;
- Two letters (2) of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Approved Co-op verification form emailed to email@example.com;
- 18 years or older at the time the appointment begins;
- Satisfactory background check; and
- Pass a screening drug test which Argonne pays for.
Please note: Use of marijuana/cannabis or its derivatives if prescribed is legal in some states in the United States and is legally used recreationally in some other countries. Having these drugs in your system is NOT legal at United States Federal Contractor sites such as Argonne National Laboratory.