10 of 20
Enrico Fermi and Walter H. Zinn
Enrico Fermi (left) and Walter H. Zinn were Argonne's first two directors. In early 1943, Chicago Pile 1, was moved from the University of Chicago to the Argonne Forest section of the Cook County Forest Preserve, rebuilt in a slightly different configuration and renamed Chicago Pile 2.
The small laboratory that grew up around the reactor was called the Argonne Laboratory, and Fermi was its first director. In September 1944, Fermi moved to Los Alamos and Zinn, his deputy, was named director of the Argonne Laboratory, a position he held until July 1, 1946, when he was named director of the newly created Argonne National Laboratory.
Zinn continued as director of Argonne National Laboratory until June 30, 1956. For more information, go to www.ne.anl.gov and click on the “Nuclear Science and Technology Legacy” graphic.