Argonne’s mission is to deliver innovative research and technology through a unique blend of world-class user facilities, science, and engineering to address the scientific and societal needs of our nation. In order to pursue its mission, Argonne recognizes the need for care of the environment, the safety and health of its employees and the public, and continuing quality assurance in all endeavors.
Argonne’s Integrated Safety Management System (ISM) is the foundation of the Laboratory’s ongoing effort to provide a safe and productive environment for employees, users, other site personnel, visitors, and the public. The formal approach integrates safety into all aspects of the work process that enables Argonne to perform cutting edge research, while protecting our irreplaceable intellectual capital – our employees, as well as the public and the environment.
Integrated Safety Management System Objectives
- Do it safely, do it right
- No work is so important that it need be done without proper safety measures
Argonne plans and performs work in a manner that protects the health and safety of the worker, the environment, and the public by applying seven guiding principles and five core functions.
The seven ISM guiding principles are:
- Line management responsibility for safety
- Clear roles and responsibilities
- Competence commensurate with responsibilities
- Balanced priorities
- Identification of standards and requirements
- Hazard controls tailored to work being performed
- Operations authorization
The five ISM core functions are:
- Define scope of work
- Analyze hazards
- Develop/implement hazard controls
- Perform work within control
- Feedback and improvement