Argonne researchers are advancing manufacturing technology through in-situ physics-of-device failure study of power electronic devices and components. and engaged in strengthening U.S. national security through reliability test of power electronic device and component in extreme, harsh environments.
- Accelerated reliability testing
- Radiation hardness testing
- Characterization platform automation for harsh environment operation
- In-situ physics-of-device failure analysis
- Data analysis for Graphical User Interface (GUI) platform development
- Machine learning based life-time prediction modeling
- Thermal aging testing of power devices up to 1000oC
- Bias temperature instability testing of power devices and components
- Accelerated neutron radiation failure-in-time (FIT), microdose, total ionizing displacement (TID) testing of devices and materials
- High speed x-ray imaging of device during transient or switching failure
- Dielectric degradation analysis of materials and devices in extreme environments
- Static characterization of power devices
- In-situ I-V monitoring and data collection of device and material in extreme environments
- GUI platform utilization? to compare degradation of devices and materials before and after stress
In-situ Physics-of-Failure Analysis: Argonne researchers are leveraging Argonne’s Advanced Photon Source’s (APS) x-ray high-speed imaging (HSI) capability for in-situ physics-of-failure analysis for high power high frequency wide bandgap (WBG) power devices and aerospace component manufacturers. Argonne has built a capability at the APS HSI beamline (32-ID) for testing and performing in-situ physics-of-failure analysis of WBG power devices and components during accelerated stressing and high-speed switching.
Hardness Testing of Power Devices in Extreme Harsh Environments: This research focuses on demonstrating reliability testing of 600 V-1700 V GaN and SiC WBG power devices in high neutron radiation environments and high temperatures (350oC-800oC) at a highly accelerated rate and performing in-situ observation of electrical and thermal properties. Argonne has built the capability to perform extreme condition reliability test in order to facilitate improved? advanced manufacturing of WBG devices for extreme harsh environment application through aerospace and defense industry partners.
Benchmarking WBG Power Devices: The research focuses on benchmarking WBG SiC power devices through accelerated reliability testing. We have developed a thermal aging and bias temperature instability platform. In order to analyze static electrical properties, we have developed statistics and machine learning based on GUI interface.
- Moinuddin Ahmed (Principal Investigator)
- Christopher Stankus
- Carlos Olivares
- Dayne Hultman
- Christopher Strnad
- Sophie Roberts
- Jeremy Schultz
- M. Ahmed, B. Kucukgok, A. Yanguas-Gil, J. Hryn and K. Z. Gao “Reliability experimentation of 1200 V SiC power n-MOSFETs by accelerated thermal aging and bias temperature instability,”, SN Applied Science, vol.1, article 733, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-0783-y.
- C. Stankus, M. Ahmed, “Smoothing technique for calculating threshold voltage for high power devices,” vol. 164, pp. 107744, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2019.107744
- M. Ahmed, B. Kucukgok, A. Yanguas-Gil, J. Hryn, “Neutron radiation reliability testing of 650 GaN HEMT,” Journal of Radiation Physics, vol. 166, pp. 108256-1-4, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2019.108456.
- M. Ahmed, B. Kucukghok, J. Hryn, A. Yanguas-Gil, K. Gao, S. A. Wender, K. Sawyer, “Neutron Radiation Reliability of 600V and 650V Wide Bandgap GaN Power MOSFETs,” Proc. GOMATECH, Paper no. 4, March, 2019.
- Moinuddin Ahmed, “Reliability analysis of wide-bandgap semiconductor devices,” Presented on PowerAmerica Annual Meeting, February 6-8, 2018.
- M. Ahmed, “Reliability benchmarking for wide bandgap power devices,” Presented on PowerAmerica Summer Workshop, August 22-24, 2018.
- J. Hryn, M. Ahmed, “GaN Power Devices Reliability Testing in Neutron Radiation Environment,” Presented in IEEE ECCE Conference, Sept 23-27, 2018.
- M. Ahmed, C. Stankus, A. Yanguas-Gil, J. Hryn, “Accelerated Reliability Test of Power Electronics Device and Component,” Presented in Argonne Postdoctoral Symposium 2019.
- M. Ahmed, B. Kucukgok, A. Yanguas-Gil, J. Hryn, K. Z. Gao, “In-situ and Ex-situ Neutron Radiation Reliability Study of GaN Power Transistors,” PowerAmerica Annual Meeting, February, 2019.
- M. Ahmed, “Hardness Testing of Wide Bandgap Power Devices in Harsh Environment,” Presented on PowerAmerica Annual Meeting, February, 2020