2016 Users Meeting
May 9-12, 2016 Joint APS/CNM Users Meeting
The annual joint users meetings of the Center for Nanoscale Materials and the co-located Advanced Photon Source are held at Argonne National Laboratory. Anyone is welcome to register for these meetings, which attract more than 400 registrants and 50+ vendor booths for myriad activities including technical workshops that highlight, promote, and stimulate user science; plenary sessions; poster sessions; a vendor expo; social events; and CNM short courses. A Best Student Poster Award competition is held for students who benefit from accessing the CNM.
New! The CNM Best Student Poster Prizes went to:
- Emily Hoffman, Northwestern University, "Observation of Molybdenum Disulfide Nanoflake Friction:
- David Lioi, Drexel University, "Ultrafast Dynamics of Correlated Electron States in Layered CuxTiSe2"
New! The CNM UEC Election winners are:
- Olga Makarova, Creatv Microtech
- James Rondinelli, Northwestern University
- Zhili Xiao, Northern Illinois University
CNM Plenary Session
Monday, May 9, 2016, Bldg 402, Rm A1100
- 1:30 pm Keynote Address: Julia Greer, California Institute of Technology
Professor of Materials Science and Mechanics
"Materials by Design: 3-dimensional nano-architected meta-materials"
- 2:15 pm Jacqueline Cole, University of Cambridge, UK
Head, Molecular Engineering
Jointly appointed to the ISIS Facility, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK
Guest Faculty, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory
"Molecular Engineering of Nano-optomechanical Transducers”
- 2:45 pm James Rondinelli, Northwestern University
Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering
"Designing Functional Oxide-Based Optical Materials From Quantum Mechanics to the Laboratory"
- 3:15 pm Break
- 3:35 pm Steve Smith, Chair, CNM Users Executive Committee
Update from the CNM Users Executive Committee
- 3:45 pm Tamar Segal-Peretz, Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne Scholar, Materials Science Division
"Underneath the Surface of Block Copolymer Thin Films”
- 4:15 pm Alper Kinaci, Argonne National Laboratory
Postdoctoral Appointee, Nanoscience & Technology Division
"Predicting Nanomaterial Properties, Faster with Machine Learning"
- 4:45 pm Invited Student Talk: Peijun Guo, Northwestern University
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
"Ultrafast All-Optical Modulation of the Full-Visible Spectrum with Indium-Tin-Oxide Nanorod Arrays"
- 5:00 pm Adjourn
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Joint CNM/APS Workshop: Challenges in Integrating Data Science, Computational Modeling, and Advanced Characterization
- Co-organizers: Maria Chan (CNM); Doga Gursoy (CNM); Fatih Sen (CNM); Ross Harder (XSD); Benjamin Blaiszik (CLS)
CNM Workshop: Frontiers in Superconducting Electronics: from Quantum Computing to Photon Detectors
- Co-organizers: Goran Karapetrov (Drexel, Argonne MSD); Valentine Novosad (Argonne MSD)
Wednesday, May 11, 2016
CNM Workshop: Revealing Hidden Structures and Properties: 3D Characterization of Nanoscale Materials
- Co-organizers: Tamar Segal-Peretz (MSD); Amanda Petford Long (MSD); Charudatta Phatak (MSD)
CNM Workshop: 2D Materials Beyond Graphene: Exploring the Heterostructures
- Co-organizers: Irma Kuljanishvili (Saint Louis University); Saptarshi Das (Penn State); Subramanian Sankaranarayanan (CNM)
CNM Short Courses
Thursday, May 12, 2016
$40 fee in addition to meeting registration fee
- Course A: Introduction to Scanning, Transmission, Scanning Transmission, and Analytical Electron Microscopy (Instructor: Nestor Zaluzec)
- Course B: Fundamentals of Raman Spectroscopy (Instructor: David Gosztola)
- Course C: Using the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe (Instructor: Martin Holt)
- Course D: Introduction to Atomic Layer Deposition and Applications (Instructors: Liliana Stan, Ralu Divan, Leonidas Ocola)
The links to the programs of previous meetings are available in the left navigation bar.