- Ph.D., University of Chicago
- Glenn Seaborg Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory
- Research focuses primarily on next-generation photovoltaics, self-assembling nanomaterials, water treatment, advanced lithography based on sequential infiltration synthesis (SIS), and solar energy economics and life cycle assessment.
Selected recent publications
- Membrane materials for water purification: Design, development, and application, A. Lee, J.W. Elam, and S.B. Darling, Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol. 2 (2016) 17-42.
- Perovskite photovoltaics: life-cycle assessment of energy and environmental impacts, J. Gong, S.B. Darling, and F. You, Energy Environ. Sci. 8 (2015) 1953-1968.
- Domestic and overseas manufacturing scenarios of silicon-based photovoltaics: Life cycle energy and environmental comparative analysis, D. Yue, F. You, and S.B. Darling, Solar Energy 105 (2014) 669-678. [Corrigendum: Solar Energy 107 (2014) 380]
- Additives for morphology control in high-efficiency organic solar cells, H.-C. Liao, C.-C. Ho, C.-Y. Chang, M.-H. Jao, S.B. Darling, and W.-F. Su, Materials Today 16 (2013) 326-336.
- The case for organic photovoltaics, S.B. Darling and F. You, RSC Adv. 3 (2013) 17633-17648.
- Morphology characterization in organic and hybrid photovoltaics, W. Chen, M.P. Nikiforov, and S.B. Darling, Energy Environ. Sci. 5 (2012) 8045-8074.
- Hierarchical nanomorphologies promote exciton dissociation in polymer/fullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells, W. Chen, T. Xu, F. He, W. Wang, C. Wang, J. Strzalka, Y. Liu, J. Wen, D.J. Miller, J. Chen, K. Hong, L. Yu, and S.B. Darling, Nano Letters 11 (2011) 3707-3713.
- Enhanced block copolymer lithography using sequential infiltration synthesis, Y.-C. Tseng, Q. Peng, L.E. Ocola, J.W. Elam, and S.B. Darling, J. Phys. Chem. C 115 (2011) 17725–17729.
Co-author of How to Change Minds about Our Changing Climate, Seth B. Darling and Douglas L. Sisterson, New York: The Experiment, 2014. (ISBN-10: 1615192239)