Argonne National Laboratory

Acceptable Forms of Photo Identification


The following is a list of acceptable forms of photo identification, which must be valid.

  • Driver’s license
  • State-issued ID
  • U.S. passport
  • Federally issued identification
  • HSPD-12 credentials
  • IDs from other DOE/NNSA Laboratories
  • Original school- or university-issued ID, PLUS a birth certificate or Social Security card (if under the age of 18)


After approval from the Foreign Visits and Assignments (FV&A) Office and upon arrival at Argonne, foreign nationals must bring their valid original passport and applicable visa with any United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewal. These documents include:

  • F-1: passport, visa, and I-20
  • J-1: passport, visa, and DS2019
  • B-1: passport, visa, and I-94
  • H-1: passport, visa and I-94, or passport, I-797, and I-94
  • EAD card (OPT status): passport, EAD card, and I-20 (include third page of I-20)

Note: Foreign nationals with the following visa classifications are NOT eligible to hold either an Argonne appointment or conduct hands-on work at an Argonne user facility: WT, B-2, J-2, F-2, and H-4.

Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.

Upon arrival at Argonne, legal permanent residents of the U.S. must bring their LPR Card (aka Green Card) and a government-issued identification document that includes a photograph, such as a driver’s license. If the LPR Card is pending, a valid passport and work authorization extension (EAD card, I-20, DS-2019, I-797) must be provided with an I-485 or I-551 stamp.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) Participants

VWP participants must present their valid original passport with a valid I-94 stamp.

Effective January 9, 2009, foreign travelers coming into the U.S. under the VWP must “pre-authorize” themselves online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). It is recommended that you log into ESTA as far in advance of your travel as possible, but not less than 72 hours before departure.

Additional Identification Requirements

Canadian citizens: Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS* or FAST*). U.S. citizens residing in the following states can obtain Enhanced Driver’s Licenses: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington. Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec may obtain Enhanced Driver’s Licenses.

Mexican citizens: Mexican citizens are required to present a passport with a visa or a Border Crossing Card. A SENTRI* Traveler Program card is also acceptable.

Bermudian citizens: Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.

Change in Citizenship

If you have become a U.S. citizen, you will need to present an original and valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization paper when you arrive at Argonne. Please notify the FV&A Office of this in advance of your arrival.

*The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean and Bermuda. Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) cards are for entry into the United States from Mexico, and NEXUS cards are for entry into the United States from Canada. Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards are available to commercial drivers crossing both the northern and southern borders into the United States.