Argonne’s National Preparedness Analytics Center partners with governments, industry, nonprofits and academia to develop and apply innovative solutions to strengthen national preparedness and resilience.
The National Preparedness Analytics Center (NPAC) helps our sponsors prepare for, mitigate, respond to, and recover from the threats and hazards that pose the greatest risk to the security and resilience of communities in the United States and around the globe.
NPAC applies the following capabilities in our work:
- Doctrine and guidance development: Our analysts partner with federal sponsors to develop national preparedness doctrine and develop implementation guidance to enable its adoption nationwide.
- Modeling and analysis: We apply a range of modeling and analysis techniques to inform and support preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation activities for all threats and hazards.
- Technical assistance and applied research for state and local communities: We deliver specialized subject matter expertise to state, local, tribal, and territorial emergency managers on priority issues such as supply chain resilience, evacuation, dam safety, and community resilience.
- Planning support: We bring an integrated, multi-disciplinary approach to a range of planning activities, including emergency management, energy security, climate, land use, capital improvements, and economic resilience plans.
- Exercise development and support: We apply processes and technologies to test capabilities through exercises, supporting the design, development, conduct, and evaluation of discussion- and operations-based exercises.
- Risk and crisis communications: Our subject matter experts work with emergency managers to enhance the effectiveness of crisis communications by bridging the gaps between public affairs practice and social science.
- Emergency managers
- Geospatial analysts
- Social scientists
- Urban planners
- Public policy experts
- Operations researchers
- Intelligence analysts
- Energy systems and policy experts
- Communications and media professionals