- 18 years or older at the time the appointment begins.
- Cumulative minimum grade point average 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution and have completed at least one semester of schooling by the start of the program.
- School Verification form.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Satisfactory background check.
- Pass a screening drug test.
- Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Research Aides receive a salary and, under certain conditions, travel reimbursement. Salaries are competitive and are based upon the field of study and academic year status of the student.
If traveling by car or airplane, your appointment may be eligible for travel reimbursement, if your permanent and school address is more than fifty miles away from Argonne. Do not make your own travel arrangements, as you will be working with your division’s Student HR Rep to book travel. Travelers may choose to drive only if the distance, using the direct route is less than 300 miles one way from Argonne and will be reimbursed at the current government rate. Trips exceeding 300 miles are required to travel via commercial airline. No per diem or lodging costs will be reimbursed while en route. Travel by air will be purchased by the laboratory at the cost of the lowest commercial airfare.
Students are responsible for securing and funding their own housing.
Summer appointments tend to be the most desired and therefore typically have an application deadline of March 1.
Fall and Spring appointments are rolling, and students are selected from the current application pool.