- 18 years or older at the time the appointment begins.
- Cumulative minimum grade point average 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation emailed to email@example.com.
- Approved Research Aide verification form emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Satisfactory background check.
- Pass a screening drug test.
- Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Research Aides receive a salary and, under certain conditions, travel reimbursement. Salaries are competitive and are based upon the field of study and academic year status of the student. If travel reimbursement is approved, it will be paid only for students whose permanent and school addresses are more than fifty miles away from Argonne. Travel expenses are reimbursed consistent with the terms detailed in the laboratory acceptance letter. Travel reimbursement is based on a round-trip from the traveler’s trip origin (trip origin to Argonne and Argonne back to trip origin).
Transportation expenses will be reimbursed on the basis of the most direct route. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate, not to exceed the cost of round-trip coach airfare. No per diem or lodging costs will be reimbursed while en route. We will calculate distance according to MapQuest. If the student is traveling to Argonne via air, Argonne must make the travel arrangements. Students will not be reimbursed if they make their own flight arrangements.
Students are responsible for securing and funding their own housing.
Fall and Spring appointments are rolling, and students are selected from the current application pool.
Summer appointments tend to be the most desired and therefore have an application deadline of March 1, 2020. Students in the application pool by March 1, 2020 will be considered for Summer 2020. Students in the application pool after March 1, 2020 will have the choice to select available appointments for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.