- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited U.S. institution and have completed at least one year of schooling by the start of the program.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Undergraduate cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident at the time of applying.
- Pass a screening drug test.
- Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
During the appointment period, participants receive a stipend of $600 per week and on-site housing. Dormitory type lodging is available on-site at no direct cost to the student. Students choosing to live in the on-site student housing are required to have a valid major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express only) when checking in. This will be used for the security deposit. In addition, your card will also be charged the first week of each month for the prior month’s charges. You will be reimbursed in your pay check.
Please be advised that the Guest House, which is managed by Sodexo, is on a different billing cycle than Argonne. By the time students receive their last paycheck, students will have received full reimbursement for their housing. For the use of debit cards, students may receive authorizations during their stay. These authorizations are usually removed 7 business days after your check-out depending on your financial institution.
Travel will be paid only for students whose permanent and school addresses are more than fifty miles away from Argonne. Travel expenses are reimbursed consistent with the terms detailed in the laboratory acceptance letter. Travel reimbursement is based on a round-trip from the traveler’s trip origin (trip origin to Argonne and Argonne back to trip origin).
Transportation expenses will be reimbursed on the basis of the most direct route. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate up to a maximum of $500.00 round-trip, not to exceed the cost of round-trip coach airfare. No per diem or lodging costs will be reimbursed while en route. We will calculate distance according to MapQuest. Students will receive their reimbursement check three to four weeks after their arrival. If students are traveling to Argonne via air, Argonne must make the travel arrangements. Students will not be reimbursed if they make their own flight arrangements.
- Summer 2020 internships application deadline is March 1, 2020.
- Fall 2020 internships application deadline is June 30, 2020.
- Spring 2021 internships applications deadline is November 30, 2020.