Within the EGS directorate, we live by a set of values that starts with safety and pride in our work. We celebrate our diverse workforce, which drives innovation and collaboration. We respect the unique and invaluable opportunities we have to change the world. Our cutting-edge science and engineering moves us to a common purpose of driving innovation, to address our nation’s energy and security needs. To that end, we apply unique expertise in science, engineering, and information systems together with some of the finest research facilities in the world to
- Advance innovative materials, technologies, and processes to increase American manufacturing competitiveness;
- Address the energy and critical resource needs of the interconnected society of the future;
- Prevent misuse of nuclear, biological, chemical materials, and cyber technology; and
- Produce new energy solutions for national security operations.
The goals of the Energy and Global Security directorate are to:
- Reduce world dependence on fossil energy by developing technologies that increase clean energy supplies and enhance the efficient use of energy and natural resources.
- Enable the realization of nuclear energy as a carbon-free energy source that is costcompetitive, safe, and secure.
- Leverage Argonne’s science, engineering, and analysis expertise to prevent misuse of nuclear, biological, chemical materials, and cyber technology; build secure and resilient infrastructure; and produce new energy solutions for national security operations.
- Provide trustworthy, actionable analysis to –
- Protect physical and cyber infrastructure;
- Prevent misuse of nuclear, chemical, and biological materials or technology;
- Prevent and mitigate actions, both natural and deliberate, that would result in mass destruction, disruption, or suffering;
- Minimize risks to our environment and economic well-being; and
- Promote advanced energy systems.