Current status: Access to the Lemont site is under additional restrictions due to COVID-19/coronavirus precautions.
Site access restrictions will take effect on Tuesday, 3/17/2020. Updated 3/14/2020
When on site, use these emergency numbers to contact Argonne’s Protective Force:
- From Argonne phones, dial 9-1-1
- From cell phones or pay phones on site, call +1-630-252-1911
For assistance during a non-emergency:
- From Argonne phones, call the Argonne Fire Department at ext. 2-6131.
- From cell phones or pay phones, contact the Argonne Fire Department at +1-630-252-6131.
- For additional assistance, contact the Argonne Protective Force +1-630-252‑5730.
Outdoor sirens are tested the first Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m. Several types of alarms alert you to emergencies on the Argonne campus:
- Check with your Area Emergency Supervisor for specifics for your building.
- Outdoor sirens mean take shelter immediately.
- Site-wide public address system warnings are preceded by a 20-second tone. Listen to the warning message that follows the tone.
- Building alarms, such as bells and strobe lights, will announce building-specific emergencies. Listen for a building-specific message to immediately follow the alarm. If no message follows immediately, evacuate the building and report to your assigned accountability location. Localized or individual building public address warnings delivered by the Area Emergency Supervisor will not be preceded by a tone.
- Tornado shelters are available and marked with signs throughout the site. If a tornado watch has been issued, identify the location of your nearest shelter. If a tornado warning is issued, go to shelter immediately, and stay there quietly until an all-clear is issued. Check with your Area Emergency Supervisor regarding shelter locations.
- Evacuation routes are posted in most buildings. Be aware of at least two evacuation routes from your work area to your accountability location. Check with your Area Emergency Supervisor for your accountability location.
About This Page
- Employees should check this page for information in the event of an operational emergency or other change in operations at Argonne National Laboratory. Non-emergency information and directions for employees will be posted here by laboratory senior management, the U.S. Department of Energy and emergency responders.
- Any changes to Argonne’s operational status will be sent to employees and other site occupants via text, email and phone messages (make sure your contact information is up to date in Argonne’s Workday system). The Argonne Info Line at (630) 252-INFO (+1-630-252-4636) is also updated when severe weather affects Argonne operations.