Ford has been using a power-split architecture in the Escape HEV since 2004. The Fusion HEV builds upon that technology but with enhancements like: higher EV driving speed (up to 47 MPH), electric A/C unit for cabin cooling during engine-off, variable valve timing, improved battery (smaller, lighter, no need for active cooling system), and a high-resolution screen with multiple gages and feedbacks that allow the driver to tailor driving style to maximize fuel economy.
- Power-split, mid-sized charge-sustaining hybrid-electric sedan
- 2.5L Atkinson-cycle engine with VVT
- 275-Volt Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH)
- Features enhanced EV operation, as high as 47 MPH in EV mode
- Sophisticated driver feedback data display for efficient driving