This program provides Master’s and Ph.D. level candidates an opportunity to conduct work within an Argonne research group or on a specific project for the purpose of supporting the student’s thesis work. The university sets the academic standards and awards the degree. In practice, the participation of the faculty member varies from full partnership in the research to general supervision of the student’s thesis work. The Argonne staff member keeps the faculty member at the university informed on the student’s progress.
- Application should be submitted at least one month prior to proposed start date;
- Approved application approval form emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Two (2) letters of recommendation emailed to email@example.com;
- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution;
- 18 years or older at the time the appointment begins;
- Satisfactory background check; and
- Pass a screening drug test which Argonne pays for.
Graduate Research appointments are three months to one year in length with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon satisfactory performance by the appointee. Appointments usually start when the student begins full-time thesis research at Argonne after having completed all other academic requirements.
Appointees receive an hourly wage which is determined by the hiring division and the Educational Programs Office. Travel reimbursement is determined by the hiring division in accordance with laboratory policy. All travel arrangements must be made by the hiring division in order to receive any reimbursement.
Students are responsible for securing and funding their own housing.