Argonne offers free or low-cost voluntary programs to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle that integrates “brain, body and balance.”
Take advantage of on-site health screenings, flu shots, exercise programs, health coaching, physical therapy and more. On a campus surrounded by a lush forest preserve, our employees enjoy walking, running and biking paths and participate in volleyball and ultimate frisbee.
Health and Wellness Programs
- Incentivized Wellness Program: This voluntary employee program encourages healthy lifestyle choices. Through the online tool, Virgin Pulse, the program is open to all benefit-eligible employees. Employees enrolled in Argonne’s medical insurance plans can earn “wellness credits,” which are financial incentives applied toward an employee’s monthly insurance premiums.
- 4LIFE Lectures: As part of the Incentivized Wellness Program, our wellness clinician and other experts conduct casual topical talks providing high-quality up-to-date health information. These lectures are available to the entire Argonne community.
- Employee Assistance Program: As a vital part of a commitment to helping its employees maintain an optimum quality of life, Argonne provides a benefit called the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Available to employees and family members, the EAP is a resource offering consultation, support, information and planning, and referrals to professional resources in your community. There is no charge to employees for these services and it is confidential.
- Onsite Medical Clinic: Argonne understand that employees have their own primary health care providers, but also understand how busy those providers can be. Argonne’s convenient onsite medical clinic offers health screenings health coaching, and acute care visits at no charge to eligible employees. Employees can meet with a clinician (physician or nurse practitioner) to review their health history and any concerns.
- Ergonomic Support: Office and Laboratory workers can face ergonomic stresses from many elements, from equipment arrangement to repetitive motions. Argonne provides support, information and the tools to comfortably modify an employee’s practices or work environment to prevent discomfort or injury.
Fitness and Recreation
- Fitness Center: Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the fitness center is equipped with aerobic exercise machines, strength machines, and free weights. Changing rooms are available with lockers and benches for changing before and after workout sessions.
- Bikeshare program: This program provides a fun and eco-friendly option to travel around the laboratory site. It improves local air quality, reduces fuel use, and promotes wellness in the workplace.
- Walk-friendly campus: Argonne’s natural beauty and walkable campus fosters the laboratory’s groundbreaking research and supports an active culture. Our cutting-edge facilities are nestled among hundreds of acres of wilderness and connected by a walk-friendly campus.
- Exercise Club: Ready to help employees meet their fitness goals, the club offers a variety of classes every week including yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, step aerobics and trim-and-tone. There are some morning classes and afternoon classes that are held on a daily basis. All classes are held in the exercise room of the lab’s fitness center. Making a commitment to exercise with the club on a daily basis not only helps you meet your fitness goals, but it’s a great stress reliever as well. All the classes are geared for all levels of fitness.
- Argonne Clubs: Employees, family members and retirees are all welcome to join in or start new social and recreational organizations. Clubs include Running, Badminton, Golf, Bowling, Billiards, Chess, Soccer, Softball, Table Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball just to name a few.
- Argonne Park: Along with its scenic setting, Argonne Park provides horseshoe pits, baseball diamonds, and playground equipment, as well as a picnic shelter, tables, and walking trails. The park is available to employees at no charge, but reservations are required. Park users must have a pass or an employee badge and may have to share the pavilion with others.