Argonne National Laboratory


Albert Crewe (right), Argonne director from 1961 to 1967, explains the ZGS's Cockroft-Walton pre-accelerator.


  • 2015 – The Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) collaboration was established in early 2015; Physicist Maury Goodman was elected chair of the Institutional Board.

  • 2012 – CDF announces the most accurate W mass measurement.

  • 2011 – The last run of the CDF took place and the Tevatron collider ended operations.

  • 2010-2012 – The DHCAL collected data

  • 2010 – Within the CALICE (Calorimeter for ILC Experiment) collaboration, the technology of a Digital Hadron Calorimeter (DHCAL) was developed and a physical 1m prototype using Resistive Plate Chambers (RPC) was constructed at Argonne National Laboratory. The DHCAL was then built.


  • 2007 – The last electron–proton collisions at ZEUS were recorded on June 30th.

  • 2006 – b_s oscillations were observed.


  • 1999 – The Soudan 2 Calorimeter confirmed the discovery of neutrino oscillations.

  • 1994 – The top quark was discovered at CDF and D0 was announced.

  • 1992 – The ZEUS collider experiment at HERA began operation; Argonne physicists built the barrel calorimeter for this experiment.


  • 1987 – Argonne physicist led the fabrication of the central EM calorimeter.

  • 1987 – The first physics run for CDF/Tevatron collider took place.

  • 1982 – S. H. Kim and his group completed a 3.3 MJ pulse superconducting coil which was awarded a 1982 IR100 Award.

  • Rich Smith led the design and construction of a 2.8 meter length superconducting quadrupole magnet for use in a polarized proton beam at Fermilab and later in materials beneficiation studies at Argonne. 


  • 1979 – S. H. Kim developed a program for Argonne in Fusion Energy for the purpose of studying pulse superconducting coils. He designed, built, and tested the first pulse superconducting magnets to model Tokomak ohmic heating coils and later was awarded a 1979 IR100 Award. 

  • 1979 – The Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS) shutdown operations on October 1st.

  • 1978 – The High Energy Physics Advisory Panel reviewed the High Energy Physics (HEP) program at Argonne and determined the HEP Division should continue as users.

  • 1978 – The High Resolution Spectrometer was proposed.

  • 1977 – Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory Collider Summer Study is held which became the founding of the Collider Detector at Fermilab

  • 1977 – Booster II was installed which later formed the Intense Pulsed Neutron Source in 1979.

  • 1976 – The Long Range panel was convened to study the future of the High Energy Physics division due to the approaching shutdown of ZGS.

  • 1976 – H- Injection Operations began.

  • 1973 – The world’s first high energy polarized proton beam became operational at the Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS) in July.

  • 1971 – The streamer chamber was built.

  • 1971 – Effective Mass Spectrometer operations began.

  • 1970 – Argonne scientists observed a neutrino in the hydrogen bubble chamber for the first time.


  • 1969 – Argonne became home to the World's Largest Bubble Chamber in October, measuring 12 feet in diameter and standing 7 feet tall. The bubble chamber enhanced Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS) research by enabling scientists to study particles too small and too fast to be observed directly.

  • 1966 – The vertical damper is installed in the ZGS which brings latency.

  • 1965 – The first liquid hydrogen polarized target was built.

  • 1964 – The 30” bubble chamber began operations.

  • 1963 – The first beam from the Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS) is observed.

  • 1963 – Argonne was chosen as the site of the 12.5 GeV Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS), a proton accelerator.

  • 1960 – The Particle Accelerator Division occupies building 360.


  • 1959 – The High Energy Physics division was established on July 1.

  • 1958 – The users group is formed.

  • 1957 – The Particle Accelerator Division is founded at Argonne National Laboratory.

  • 1956 – The Zero Gradient Synchrotron (ZGS) scope defines it as the “Midwest Regional Facility”.


  • 1946 – Argonne National Laboratory was built.