The Mathematics and Computer Science (MCS) Division at Argonne has earned worldwide recognition for advances in applied mathematics, computational science, and computer science. As we move toward the exascale era, we are seeking outstanding individuals to join us in exploring new technologies — in scalable numerical methods and libraries, parallel system software, and large-scale visualization and distributed systems — that will accelerate scientific problem solving.
If you are interested in becoming part of our team, we encourage you to apply for one of our open positions using the Computing, Environment and Life Sciences (CELS) Careers web site which maintains the most current listing of opportunities within the CELS directorate.
The MCS Division, in conjunction with Argonne’s Educational Programs, conducts programs for undergraduate and graduate students majoring in computer science or a related discipline. These programs are sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy for student research opportunities at colleges, universities, and national laboratories. We offer the following:
- Givens Associates: The Givens Associate positions are intended to encourage graduate students who are beginning careers in numerical analysis or computational mathematics. Associates work actively scientists designing, analyzing, and implementing numerical and visualization methods.
- W.J. Cody Associates: The W. J. Cody Associates program provides an opportunity for graduate students to work at the forefront of computing. Associates assist researchers in designing, analyzing, and implementing software solutions for scientific computing at extreme scale.
- Student Internships: Students may obtain research experience working with staff at Argonne through Graduate Research Assistantships and Undergraduate Internships.
- The MCS Division in conjunction with Argonne’s Postdoctoral Program provides early-career Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) professionals with the opportunity to conduct meaningful, cutting-edge research in an inspired and resource-rich environment.
- J. H. Wilkinson Fellowship: The Wilkinson Fellowship encourages young scientists actively engaged in state-of-the-art research in scientific computing.
The MCS Division, in conjunction with Argonne’s Educational Programs, conducts the Faculty Participant Program for faculty members of accredited U. S. colleges and universities. Researchers who explore the frontiers of knowledge carry their excitement into the classroom to motivate and inspire students. And research opportunities and experiences improve the quality of undergraduate education faculty members provide.