A system for encapsulating and storing disused radiological sources in sealed capsules is provided, the system having:
- a basket to removably position capsules relative to each other, the capsules containing the radiological sources;
- a containment vessel for receiving the basket;
- and a cask reversibly encapsulating or otherwise housing the containment vessel.
Also provided is a method for packaging, transporting and storing disused radiological sources. The method having the steps of:
- transporting sealed capsules containing radiological sources from water pools to baskets;
- placing the basket in a containment vessel and sealing the vessel with helium backfill;
- placing the vessel in a cask and reversibly capping the cask;
- surrounding the cask with personnel a shield and crumple zones to create a construct;
- and transporting and storing the construct until its final disposal at a geological repository or a deep borehole, all without repackaging of the disused radiological sealed capsules.