Argonne’s has developed a suite of surface structures, treatments and coatings for a range of high-voltage lithium metal oxide electrodes, including advanced nickel- manganese- and lithium-rich cathode materials.
See Low-Cobalt, Manganese-Rich Cathodes for Lithium-ion Batteries for Argonne’s complementary portfolio of Li- and Mn-rich cathode structure technologies.
- Surface-stabilizing structure, treatment and coating technologies offer customizable approaches for a range of high-voltage lithium metal oxides electrode materials.
- Enhance the surface stability, rate capability and cycling stability of electrodes, which leads to increased electrode energy capacity.
- Specifically address surface-related stability for enabling the use of next generation Mn- and Li-rich cathode structure types in lithium-ion batteries.
Applications and Industries
Electrodes used in batteries for:
- Electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles,
- Stationary energy storage systems,
- Portable electronic devices,
- Medical devices, and
- Space, aeronautical, and defense-related devices.
Ready for commercialization.