Onboarding Year 3
Well in advance of the end of your appointment, you and your advisor and/or division management should discuss career opportunities available to you at the completion of your appointment. Approximately a third of our Postdocs and Fellows are hired into regular scientific positions at Argonne. The remaining find positions outside the Laboratory in both academe and industry. Several useful career and placement links are given below.
- The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is a member-driven organization that provides a unique, national voice for postdoctoral scholars. The mission of the NPA is to advance the U.S. research enterprise by maximizing the effectiveness of the research community and enhancing the quality of the postdoctoral experience for all participants. The NPA job board provides information on career opportunities.
- The University of Chicago Career and Placement Services (CAPS) has created a comprehensive set of handouts to help you in all aspects of your job search. Topics include resume and CV writing, self-assessment, and employment and informational interviewing. This site also provides a series of "Careers In..." handouts that list the best job-search tools available at CAPS, on campus, and on the Internet for a range of industries.
- Science Magazine Next Wave investigates employment trends, how to make yourself eligible for today's positions, and national and international opportunities. It also has a job posting site with many resources including automated e-mail updates of new positions in your field.
- Phds.org is a resource with a variety of career information, postdoc-related statistics and policies, and lists of postdoctoral organizations and fellowships.
General Job Posting Sites
- The American Society for Cell Biology has a job board that lists positions in academia, industry, and government.
- BioMedNet has a job exchange with a detailed search engine.
- The Career Center of Bio Online posts employment opportunities in industry.
- Biospace.com has a search engine for biotechnology jobs.
- Biotechfind is a directory of international links covering the field of biotechnology and including a Biotechnology Career Center .
- Bioview is a site for biopharmaceutical jobs, news, and resources.
- Medzilla.com has a search engine for jobs in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, health care, and science.
- Nature Jobs has articles about career development and a search engine for job listings.
- Academic Careers Online lists teaching and administrative jobs in colleges and universities.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education's Career Network has a listing of academic positions in the United States and many other career resources.
- HigherEdJobs.com has a search engine with faculty and administrative university positions.
- USA JOBS and America's Job Bank are job listing sites for the U.S. Office of Personnel Management and the U.S. Department of Labor. While both are broad sites, they do advertise some advanced research positions with federal and state entities.
- The National Science Foundation has a listing of vacancy announcements in all areas of administration and science.
- The National Institutes for Health posts job openings with their CareerHere search engine.
- The Centers for Disease Control also post employment opportunities.
- Sciencejobs.com has a search engine for science-related jobs in the United States and elsewhere.
- Monster.com is one of the leading online career networks.
- Jobsnet is a leading provider of cost-effective online recruitment solutions for employers worldwide. The JobNext Career Network provides job search and free resume services, targeting mostly recent graduates.
- Careerbuilder.com and Employmentguide.com are other good sites.