Alex Martinson is a Chemist at Argonne National Laboratory in the Materials Science Division, Interfaces for Clean Energy Theme, Surface Chemistry Group. The aim of his research is to elucidate and leverage a multitude of technologically relevant surface chemistries and optoelectronic processes that occur at the interface between materials. The research tests the limits of what is possible in digital materials synthesis and device fabrication at length scales approaching the atomic level.
Present work is intended to advance the science of solar energy conversion, catalysis, and water remediation through the design, modeling, and fabrication of photovoltaics (PV), solar fuels platforms, single site catalytic frameworks, and advanced membrane materials. Disruptive designs are enabled through the precise spatial and chemical control afforded by atomic layer deposition (ALD). These studies explore the intersection of earth-abundant materials, photoelectrochemistry, and targeted materials synthesis in order to study their synergies and reveal the shortcomings of our control over energy and matter.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Northwestern University - 2008
- B.A., Chemistry and Mathematics, Luther College - 2003
- Senior Scientist, UChicago Consortium for Advanced Science and Engineering (CASE) - 2019-present
- Senior Fellow, Northwestern Argonne Institute for Science and Engineering (NAISE) - 2016-present
- Chemist, Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) - 2014-present
- Assistant Chemist, ANL - 2009-2014
- Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow, ANL - 2008-2009
- Thrust Co-Leader and Founding Member - ANL-NU Solar Energy Research Center ERFC
- Founding Member - Inorganometallic Catalysis Design Center (ICDC) EFRC
- Deputy Director of Science and Founding Member - Advanced Materials for Energy-Water Systems (AMEWS) Center EFRC
- 96 publications with 6700+ total citations
- Author and inventor on 13 patents and pending applications
- Kim, I. S.; Ahn, S; Vermeulen, N. A.; Webber, T. E.; Gallington, L. C.; Chapman, K. W.; Penn, R. L.; Hupp, J. T.; Farha, O. K.; Notestein, J. M.; Martinson, A. B. F. “The Synthesis Science of Targeted Vapor-Phase Metal–Organic Framework Post-Modification” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, asap. (https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.9b10034) [ACS Article on Request]
- Waldman, R. Z.; Joen, N.; Mandia, D. J.; Heinonen, O.; Darling, S. B.; Martinson, A. B. F.; “Sequential Infiltration Synthesis of Electronic Materials: Group 13 Oxides via Metal Alkyl Precursors” Chem. Mater. 2019 31, 14, 5274-5285. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.9b01714) [ACS Article on Request]
- Patwardhan, S.; Cao, D. H.; Schatz, G. C.; Martinson, A. B. F; “Atomic Layer Deposition Nucleation on Isolated Self-Assembled Monolayer Functional Groups: A Combined DFT and Experimental Study” ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2019, 2, 7, 4618-4628. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acsaem.8b02202) [ACS Article on Request]
- Kwon, G.; Cho, Y; Kim, K; Emery, J.; Kim, I. S.; Zhang, X.; Martinson, A. B. F.; Tiede, D. M. “Microfluidic Electrochemical Cell for in-situ Structural Characterization of Amorphous Thin-Film Catalysts using High-Energy X-ray Scattering” J. Synchrotron Rad. 2019 ASAP.
- Mannodi-Kanakkithodi, A.; Park, Ji.; Jeon, N.; Cao, D.; Gosztola, D.; Martinson, A. B. F.; Chan, M. K. Y.; “Comprehensive Computational Study of Partial Lead Substitution in Methylammonium Lead Bromide” Chem. Mater. 2019, 31, 3599-3612. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b04017)
- Jeon, N.; Lightcap, I.; Mandia, D. J.; Martinson, A. B. F.; “Plasma-Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition of TiAlN: Compositional and Optoelectronic Tunability” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 11602-11611. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b21461) [ACS Article on Request]
- Cao, D.; Guo, P.; Mannodi-Kanakkithodi, A.; Wiederrecht, G.; Gosztola, D.; Jeon, N.; Schaller, R.; Chan, M.; Martinson, A. B. F. “Charge Transfer Dynamics of Phase Segregated Halide Perovskites: CH3NH3PbCl3 and CH3NH3PbI3 or (C4H9NH3)2(CH3NH3)n-1PbnI3n+1 Mixtures” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 9583-9593. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b20928) [ACS Article on Request]
- Kim, I. S.; Pellin, M. J.; Martinson, A. B. F. “Acid Compatible Halide Perovskite Photocathodes Utilizing Atomic Layer Deposited TiO2 for Solar Driven Hydrogen Evolution” ACS Energy Lett. 2019, 4, 293-298. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acsenergylett.8b01661) [ACS Article on Request]
Full Publications List