Ann Schlenker is the Director of Argonne’s Center for Transportation Research. In this role she leads a team of scientists and engineers conducting research and developing technologies with the goal of reducing the transportation sector’s reliance on petroleum and imported oil.
Schlenker oversees a research portfolio that ranges from components to vehicles to transportation as a holistic system, including efforts to improve engine fuel efficiency and combustion kinetics, reduce friction losses, evaluate powertrain and vehicle architectures in virtual and experimental contexts, study low carbon fuel potentials, and improve and validate interoperability with the Smart Grid. The Center also manages the North American, university-level Advanced Vehicle Technology Competitions for the US Department of Energy.
Prior to joining Argonne in 2009, Schlenker worked for Chrysler, LLC, for more than 30 years, most recently as Director of Advanced Vehicle Engineering and Alliances. She previously held a variety of engineering positions in research, regulatory development, and front-line product development.
Awards, Honors, and Memberships
- Member, Society of Automotive Engineers, Society of Women Engineers
- Award, Society for Technical Communication, “Driving the Future” brochure, 2012–2013
Publications and Patents
- Environmental Research Consortia, American Industry Government Emissions Research Group (AIGER), Bag Mini-Diluter to public domain.
- Schlenker, A.M., “Charging Ahead with Drivetrain Electrification at Argonne,” IEE Power and Energy Magazine, Jan. 2011.
- Schleyer, C.H., K.D. Eng, R.A. Gorse, R.F. Gunst, J. Eckstrom, J. Freel, M. Natarajan, and A.M. Schlenker, “Reversibility of Sulfur Effects on Emissions of California Low Emission Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1544, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1544.
- Schleyer, C.H., R.A. Gorse, R.F. Gunst, G.J. Barnes, J. Eckstrom, K.D. Eng, J. Freel, M. Natarajan, and A.M. Schlenker, “Effect of Fuel Sulfur on Emissions in California Low Emission Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 982726, 1998, doi:10.4271/982726.
- Hoekman, S.K., R.M. Stanley, W.L. Clark, W.O. Siegl, A.M. Schlenker, and W.F. Biller, “CRC Speciated Hydrocarbon Emissions Analysis Round Robin Test Program,” SAE Technical Paper 950780, 1995, doi:10.4271/950780.
- Siegl, W.O., J.F.O. Richert, T.E. Jensen, D. Schuetzle, S.J. Swarin, J.F. Loo, A. Prostak, D. Nagy, and A.M. Schlenker, “Improved Emissions Speciation Methodology for Phase II of the Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program–Hydrocarbons and Oxygenates,” SAE Technical Paper 930142, 1993, doi:10.4271/930142.
- McLeod, J., D. Nagy, P. Schroeder, S. Thiel, M.A. Dearth, A.D. Colvin, T. Webb, K.R. Carduner, D. Schuetzle, R. Middleton, and A.M. Schlenker, “A Sampling System for the Measurement of Pre-Catalyst Emissions from Vehicles Operating under Transient Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 930141, 1993, doi:10.4271/930141.