Climate Scientist with background in Satellite Remote Sensing, Climate Change and Statistics/Physics. Interests include Climate (esp. Clouds), Energy & Sustainability. Keen interest in multi-disciplinary research & climate mitigation/adaptation.
- Ph.D. Atmospheric Sciences. 2023 The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- M.Sc. Physics. 2017 Presidency University, Kolkata, India.
- B.Sc. Physics. 2015 Presidency University, Kolkata, India.
- Graduate Research Assistant, The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2017-2023 (Advisor: Dr. Larry Di Girolamo)
- Conducted validation & error analysis of climate records of multiple Earth-observing satellites (1st author publication).
- Developed and implemented a fused satellite algorithm for improved cloud detection (manuscript in review).
- Conducted a big-data analysis of NASA satellite records and global climate reanalysis to quantify the large-scale patterns of cloud changes between 2000-2022 (manuscript being prepared).
- M.Sc. Dissertation Research, Indian Institute of Geomagnetism, Mumbai, India, 2017 (Advisor: Dr. Tulasiram Sudarsanam)
- Conducted time-series analysis and developed a Neural Network-based prognostic model for the prediction of ionospheric electrodynamics. Led to 2 publications (1 coauthorship, 1 acknowledged).
- Mitra A., Loveridge J., & Di Girolamo L. (2022) Synergistic Application of MISR Stereo Cloud Heights and Terra-MODIS Thermal Infrared Radiances to Estimate Multi-layered Cloud Properties. Preprint: https://essopenarchive.org/doi/full/10.1002/essoar.10512795.1 (Advanced Review).
- Mitra A., Di Girolamo L., Hong Y., Zhan Y., Mueller K.J. (2020) Assessment and Error Analysis of Terra-MODIS and MISR Cloud-top Heights through Comparison with ISS-CATS lidar. JGR: Atmospheres. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JD034281
- Tulasi Ram, S., Sai Gowtam, V., Mitra, A., & Reinisch, B. (2018). The improved two-dimensional artificial neural network-based ionospheric model (ANNIM). JGR: Space Physics. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JA025559