Dr. Daniel J. Trainer is a postdoctoral appointee in the Quantum and Energy Materials (QEM) group in the Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNM) at Argonne National Laboratory. Dr. Trainer received his B.S. in physics at St. Joseph’s University in 2012 before receiving his Ph.D. in condensed matter physics at Temple University in 2019. During his Ph.D., Dr. Trainer focused on the investigation of the electronic properties of two-dimensional materials using low-temperature scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy (STM/STS). Additionally, Dr. Trainer was awarded the United States Department of Energy Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) fellowship in 2018 to work with Prof. Saw-Wai Hla at the CNM to use the synchrotron X-ray scanning tunneling microscope (SX-STM) to study the magnetism of molecular films.
- Ph.D., Physics 2019 from Temple University
- B.S., Physics 2012 from St. Joseph’s University
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- American Physical Society Ovshinsky Travel Grant Award, 2019
- U.S. D.O.E. Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program Award, 2018
- Temple University Peter Havas Humanitarian Scholarship for Outstanding Physics Graduate Student Award, 2018
- D.J Trainer, Y. Zhang, F. Bobba, X.X. Xi, S.-W. Hla, M. Iavarone. The Effects of Atomic Scale Strain Relaxation on the Electronic Properties of Monolayer MoS2. Submitted, 2019.
- D.J. Trainer, A.V. Putilov, B. Wang, C. Lane, T. Saari, T.-R. Chang, H.-T. Jeng, H. Lin, X. X. Xi, J. Nieminen, A. Bansil, M. Iavarone. Moiré Superlattices and 2D electronic properties in graphite/MoS2 heterostructures. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids. In Press (2017). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpcs.2017.10.034
- D.J. Trainer, A.V. Putilov, C. DiGiorgio, T. Saari, B. Wang, M. Wolak, R.U. Chandrasena, C. Lane, T.-R. Chang, H.-T. Jeng, H. Lin, F. Kronast, A.X. Gray, X. X. Xi, J. Nieminen, A. Bansil, M. Iavarone. Inter-Layer Coupling Induced Valence Band Edge Shift in Mono-to Few-Layer MoS2. Scientific Reports 7, 42619 (2017).
- M. Precner, T. Polakovic, Q. Qiao, D.J. Trainer, A. V. Putilov, C. Di Giorgio, I. Cone, Y. Zhu, X. X. Xi, M. Iavarone, G. Karapetrov. Evolution of Metastable Defects and Its Effect on the Electronic Properties of MoS2. Scientific Reports 8, 6724 (2018).
- M. Precner, T. Polakovic, D.J. Trainer, A. V. Putilov, C. Di Giorgio, I. Cone, X. X. Xi, M. Iavarone, G. Karapetrov. Metastable Defects in monolayer and few-layer films of MoS2. AIP Conference Proceedings 1, 020004 (2018).
- A.V. Putilov, C. DiGiorgio, V. L. Vadimov, D. J. Trainer, E. M. Lechner, J. L. Curtis, M. Abdel-Hafiez, O. S. Volkova, A. N. Vasiliev, D. A. Chareev, G. Karapetrov, A. E. Koshelev, A. Y. Aladyshkin, A. S. Mel’nikov, M. Iavarone. Vortex-core properties and vortex-lattice transformation in FeSe. Phys. Rev. B. 99, 144514 (2019).
- D. Chareev, Y. Ovchenkov, L. Shvanskaya, A. Kovalskii, M. Abdel-Hafiex, D.J. Trainer, E.M. Lechner, M. Iavarone, O. Volkova, A. Vasiliev. Single Crystal Growth, Transport and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Spectroscopy of FeSe1-xSx. CrystEngComm. 20 (17), 2449-2454 (2018).
- C. DiGiorgio, A.V. Putilov, D.J. Trainer, O.S. Volkova, A.N. Vasiliev, D. Chareev, G. Karapetrov, J.F. Zasadzinski, M. Iavarone. Anisotropic Superconducting Gaps and Boson Mode in FeSe 1− xSx Single Crystals. Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism 30, 763-768 (2017).
- Y. Feng, D.J. Trainer, H. Peng, Y. Liu, K. Chen. Safe growth of graphene from non-flammable gas mixtures via chemical vapor deposition. Journal of Materials Science & Technology 33, 285-290 (2017).
- Y. Feng, D.J. Trainer, K. Chen. Electrical properties of graphene tunnel junctions with high-κ metal-oxide barriers. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 50, 155101 (2017).
- Y. Feng, D.J. Trainer, K. Chen. Graphene tunnel junctions with aluminum oxide barrier. Journal of Applied Physics 120, 164505 (2016).