Dr. Dongbo Zhao is currently a Principal Energy Systems Scientist at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL). He received his Ph.D in Electrical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology with the focus of power system analysis and modeling with renewable penetrations. He has worked as a Lead R&D Engineer with Eaton Corporation (June 2014 – Nov. 2016) and as a Coop/Intern Corporate R&D Engineer with ABB (2010 – 2011) prior to joining ANL. He joined ANL in November 2016 as an Energy Systems Scientist.
Dr. Zhao is the PI and ANL-PI of multiple projects in the fields of power system modeling, load modeling, distribution control, solar integration, transformer and distributed energy resources modeling. He serves as the lab Point of Contact (PoC) for DOE Solar Energy Technologies Office at ANL. He is also an Institute Fellow at Northwestern University in the Northwestern Argonne Institute of Science and Engineering.
Dr. Zhao’s research mainly focuses on power system modeling, distribution automation, distribution grid control, load modeling and control, dynamic state estimation, condition monitoring, reliability analysis and power system protection and fault analysis. He has industry experience that broadens and complements the research areas especially associated with distribution automation products and simulation tools for grid control, fault management and observability.
PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology (Dissertation: Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Wind Turbine Systems and Wind Farms in Bulk Power Systems. Supervisor: Prof. Sakis Meliopoulos - IEEE Life Fellow)
M.S., Texas A&M University (Thesis: Adequacy Assessment in Power Systems Using Genetic Algorithm and Dynamic Programming. Supervisor: Prof. Chanan Singh - IEEE Life Fellow)
B.S., Tsinghua University (Thesis: Wide Area Protection and Substation Integration in Modern Power Systems. Supervisor: Prof. Xinzhou Dong - IEEE Fellow)
- Senior Member, IEEE
- Member, IEEE Power and Energy Society
- Member, IEEE Industrial Application Society
- Member, IEEE Industrial Electronics Society
- Member, Modeling and Validation Work Group, Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC)
- Member, Load Modeling Task Force, North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery
- Editor, IEEE Power Engineering Letters
- Subject Editor, subject “Power system operation and planning with renewable power generation (including ancillary service provision and forecasting),” IET Renewable Power Generation
- Associate Editor, IET Renewable Power Generation
- Associate Editor, IEEE Access
- Editor, International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems – Awarded as Outstanding Editor of 2017 and 2018
- Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Special Section on “Equipment Condition Monitoring and Assessment”
- Reviewer of over 200 IEEE Transaction papers and over 50 other journal and conference papers
- Author of 1 book chapter, over 30 journal publication, over 12 conference publication, and multiple technical reports
- Holder of 2 awarded patents and 1 patent application
- Panel Chair of multiple panels at leading power system conferences (ISGT 2017 & 2019, PES T&D 2018, PES GM 2019, etc.)
- Panelist in multiple panels at leading power system conferences (ISGT 2016, PMAPS 2018, PES GM 2019, etc.)