Feng Gao is a postdoctoral researcher at the Advanced Materials for Energy-Water Systems (AMEWS) Energy Frontier Research Center at Argonne. His research focuses on understanding the interplay between membrane nanostructure, pore chemistry, and transport mechanisms to generate clean water using advanced membrane materials and engineering techniques. He is currently studying isoporous membranes that are modified by atomic layer deposition (ALD) and assessing their potential in relieving the “upper-bound” of the permeability-selectivity trade-off relationships encountered by many membranes.
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, 2020
- B.S., University of Minnesota Duluth, 2014
- Hoffman, J. R.; Mikes, A.; Gao, F.; Phillip, W. A. Controlled Post-Assembly Functionalization of Mesoporous Copolymer Membranes Informed by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy. ACS Appl. Polym. Mater. 2019, 1 (8), 2120–2130. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsapm.9b00419.
- Gao, F.; Hunter, A.; Qu, S.; Hoffman, J. R.; Gao, P.; Phillip, W. A. Interfacial Junctions Control Electrolyte Transport Through Charge-Patterned Membranes. ACS Nano 2019, 13 (7), 7655–7664. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.9b00780.
- Zhang, Y.; Vallin, J. R.; Sahoo, J. K.; Gao, F.; Boudouris, B. W.; Webber, M. J.; Phillip, W. A. High-Affinity Detection and Capture of Heavy Metal Ions Using Block Polymer Composite Membranes. ACS Cent. Sci. 2018, 4 (12), 1697–1707. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscentsci.8b00690.
- Bush, A. M.; Ford, H. O.; Gao, F.; Summe, M. J.; Rouvimov, S.; Schaefer, J. L.; Phillip, W. A.; Guo, R. Tunable Mesoporous Films from Copolymers with Degradable Side Chains as Membrane Precursors. J. Memb. Sci. 2018, 567, 104–114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2018.08.069.
- Benavides, S.; Qu, S.; Gao, F.; Phillip, W. A. Polymeric Ion Pumps: Using an Oscillating Stimulus to Drive Solute Transport in Reactive Membranes. Langmuir 2018, 34 (15), 4503–4514. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b00193.
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- Presentation Award, 2020 Postdoctoral Research and Career Symposium, Argonne National Laboratory
- Poster Award, 2nd ND Energy Research Symposium, University of Notre Dame.
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, 2018 Notre Dame – Purdue Symposium on Soft Matter & Polymers and Poster Session.
- Bayer Predoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Notre Dame.
- The Patrick and Jana Eilers Graduate Student Fellowship, University of Notre Dame.