I am currently an assistant scientist in Argonne National Laboratory’s Center for Molecular Engineering and Materials Science Division.
My research focus is on point-defects (vacancies and dopants) in various semiconductors (Si, SiC, Y2O3, etc.) for material science and quantum information processing. I am interested in searching for the optimal defects and substrates depending on their applications, expanding on state-of-the-art understanding of charge, optical and spin properties. Applications include hybrid spin-mechanical quantum systems, decoherence mitigation, quantum communication and quantum and classical sensing.
In 2008, I received my bachelor’s degree in applied physics from ENS Cachan and Université Paris 11, Orsay. I went on to receive my master’s in nanophysics in 2011 from the Saclay Campus near Paris and my Ph.D. in quantum physics in 2015 from the University of Oxford. From 2015 to 2019, I performed research as a postdoctoral fellow in the Awschalom group at the Institute for Molecular Engineering at the University of Chicago. There, my research focused on spin defects in silicon carbide and related hybrid systems for quantum information.
My research has led to a patent application for technology related to charge conversion of defects in solid-state materials, and I have published more than 20 papers in high-impact journals.
- K. C. Miao, J. P. Blanton, C. P. Anderson, A. Bourassa, A. L. Crook, G. Wolfowicz, H. Abe, T. Ohshima, D.D. Awschalom, Universal coherence protection in a solid-state spin qubit, Science, eabc5186 (2020)
- G. Wolfowicz, C. P. Anderson, B. Diler, O. G. Poluektov, F. J. Heremans, D. D. Awschalom. Vanadium spin qubits as telecom quantum emitters in silicon carbide, Science Advances, 6, 18, eaaz1192 (2020)
- M. K. Singh, A. Prakash, G. Wolfowicz, J. Wen, Y. Huang, T. Rajh, D. D. Awschalom, T. Zhong, S. Guha, Epitaxial Er-doped Y2O3 on silicon for quantum coherent devices, APL Materials, 8, 031111 (2020)
- B. Diler, S. J. Whiteley, C. P. Anderson, G. Wolfowicz, M. E. Wesson, E. S. Bielejec, F. J. Heremans, D. D. Awschalom, Coherent control and high-fidelity readout of chromium ions in commercial silicon carbide, npj Quantum Information, 6, 11 (2020)
- C. P. Anderson, A. Bourassa, K. C. Miao, G. Wolfowicz, P. J. Mintun, A. L. Crook, H. Abe, J. U. Hassan, N. T. Son, T. Ohshima, D. D. Awschalom, Electrical and optical control of single spins integrated in scalable semiconductor devices, Science, 366, 6470 (2019)
- S. J. Whiteley, F. J. Heremans, G. Wolfowicz, D. D. Awschalom, M. V. Holt, Correlating dynamic strain and photoluminescence of solid-state defects with stroboscopic x-ray diffraction microscopy, Nature Communications, 10, 3386 (2019)
- S. J. Whiteley, G. Wolfowicz, C. P. Anderson, A. Bourassa, H. Ma, M. Ye, G. Koolstra, K. J. Satzinger, M. V. Holt, F. J. Heremans, A. N. Cleland, D. I. Schuster, G. Galli, D. D. Awschalom, Spin–phonon interactions in silicon carbide addressed by Gaussian acoustics, Nature Physics 15, 490-495 (2019)