Hieu Doan received a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston in 2015 under the supervision of professor Lars Grabow. Prior to joining Argonne, he held a postdoctoral position at Northwestern University (with Prof. Randall Snurr) from 2016 to 2018. Dr. Doan’s research interests include fundamental understanding of chemical reactions at interfaces and accelerated discovery of functional materials for chemical production, energy storage, and emission control. Density functional theory, kinetic modeling, and machine learning form his primary tool box. Currently, Dr. Doan is a member of the Molecular Materials Group (advisor: Dr. Rajeev Assary) and carrying out collaborative research with the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research (JCESR) and the Consortium for Computational Physics and Chemistry (CCPC).
1. H. A. Doan, Z. Li, O. K. Farha, J. T. Hupp, R. Q. Snurr, ”Theoretical Insights into Direct Conversion of Methane to Methanol over Supported Dicopper Oxo Nanoclusters.” Catalysis Today 312, 2-9, 2018.
2. H. A. Doan, M. K. Sharma, W. S. Epling, L. C. Grabow, ”From Active-Site Models to Real Catalysts: Importance of the Material Gap in the Rational Design of Pd Catalysts for Methane Oxidation.” ChemCatChem 9, 1594-1600, 2017.
3. Q. Yuan, H. A. Doan, L. C. Grabow, S. R. Brankovic, ”Finite Size Effects in Sub-monolayer Catalysts Investigated by CO Electrosorption on Pt/Pd(100).” Journal of the American Chemical Society 139, 13676-13679, 2017.
4. S. Pellizzeri, I. A. Jones, H. A. Doan, R. Q. Snurr, R. B. Getman, ”Using Gas-Phase Clusters to Screen Porphyrinsupported Nanocluster Catalysts for Ethane Oxidation to Ethanol.” Catalysis Letters 146, 2566-2573, 2016.
5. H-V Tran, H. A. Doan, B. D. Chandler, L. C. Grabow, ”Water-assisted Oxygen Activation during Selective Oxidation Reactions.” Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering 13, 100-108, 2016.
6. L. C. Grabow, Q. Yuan, H. A. Doan, S. R. Brankovic, ”Novel 2D RuPt Core-Edge Nanocluster Catalyst for CO Electro-oxidation.” Surface Science 640, 50-58, 2015.
7. J. Saavedra, H. A. Doan, C. J. Pursell, L. C. Grabow, B. D. Chandler, ”The Critical Role of Water at the Gold-Titania Interface in Catalytic CO Oxidation.” Science 345, 1599-1602, 2014.
8. B. D. Chandler, S. Kendell, H. Doan, R. Korkosz, L. C. Grabow, C. J. Pursell, ”NaBr Poisoning of Au/TiO? Catalysts: Effects on Kinetics, Poisoning Mechanism, and Estimation of the Number of Catalytic Active Sites.” ACS Catalysis 2, 684-694, 2012.