My current research focuses on engineering spin systems in diamond, silicon carbide, and other wide bandgap semiconductors for quantum information technology and nanoscale sensing. These spin systems, such as the nitrogen vacancy (NV) center in diamond and the divacancy complexes (VV) in silicon carbide, (SiC) offer a wide variation of control techniques as well as sensitivity to local magnetic and electric fields and temperature.
- S.J. Whiteley, F.J. Heremans, G. Wolfowicz, D.D. Awschalom, M.V. Holt, Imaging dynamically-driven strain at the nanometer-scale using stroboscopic Scanning X-ray Diffraction Microscopy, arXiv:1808.04920.
- S.J. Whiteley, G. Wolfowicz, C.P. Anderson, A. Bourassa, et al., Probing spin-phonon interactions in silicon carbide with Gaussian acoustics, arXiv:1804.10996.
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, S. Maddali, C.P. Anderson, W. Cha, K.C. Miao, M.J. Highland, A. Ulvestad, D.D. Awschalom, F.J. Heremans, Strain annealing of SiC nanoparticles revealed through Bragg coherent diffraction imaging for quantum technologies, Physical Review Materials 2, 086001 (2018). [Article Link]
- P. Andrich, J. Li, X. Liu, F.J. Heremans, P.F. Nealey, D.D. Awschalom, Microscale resolution thermal mapping using a flexible platform of patterned quantum sensors, 18 (8), 4684–4690 (2018). [Article Link]
- G. Wolfowicz, C. P. Anderson, A. L. Yeats, S. J. Whiteley, J. Niklas, O. G. Poluektov, F. J. Heremans, D. D. Awschalom, Optical charge state control of spin defects in 4H-SiC, Nature Communications 8, 1876 (2017). [Article Link]
- B. B. Zhou, P. C. Jerger, V. O. Shkolnikov, F. J. Heremans, G. Burkard, D. D. Awschalom, Holonomic quantum control by coherent optical excitation in diamond, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 140503, (2017). [Article Link]
- P. Andrich, C. F. de las Casas, X. Liu, H. L. Bretscher, J. R. Berman, F. J. Heremans, P. F. Nealey, and D. D. Awschalom, Long-range spin wave mediated control of defect qubits in nanodiamonds, NPJ Quantum Information, 3 1-7 (2017). [Article Link]
- S. O. Hruszkewycz, W. Cha, P. Andrich, C. P. Anderson, A. Ulvestad, R. Harder, P. H. Fuoss, D. D. Awschalom and F. J. Heremans, In-situ study of annealing-induced strain relaxation in diamond nanoparticles using Bragg coherent diffraction imaging, APL Materials 5 026105 (2017). [Article Link]
- B. B. Zhou, A. Baksic, H. Ribeiro, C. G. Yale, F. J. Heremans, P. C. Jerger, A. Auer, G. Burkard, A. A. Clerk, and D. D. Awschalom, Accelerated quantum control using superadiabatic dynamics in a solid-state lambda system, Nature Physics 13, 300 (2017). [Article Link]
- F. J. Heremans, C. G. Yale, and D. D. Awschalom, Control of Spin Defects in Wide-Bandgap Semiconductors for Quantum Technologies, Processings of the IEEE 104, 10 (2016). [Article Link]
- C. G. Yale, F. J. Heremans, B. B. Zhou, A. Auer, G. Burkard, D. D. Awschalom, Optically manipulation of Berry phase in a solid-state spin qubit, Nature Photonics 10, 184 (2016). [Article Link]