Dr. Lu Zhang holds a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the Chinese Academy of Science and is currently a chemist at Argonne National Laboratory. He has been working in the field of organic functional materials for energy storage applications, including polymeric binders, overcharge preventing additives for lithium-ion batteries, and active materials for flow batteries. He specializes in molecular engineering of organic functional materials towards tunable and controllable properties that were desired for various applications.
- 2001.9- 2006.7 Ph.D., Organic Chemistry. Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China
- 1996.9-2000.7 Bachelor of Science in Chemistry. Shandong University, Shandong, China
2017 ~present Chemist, Argonne National Laboratory
- PI of redoxmer solvation and development, funded by JCESR
- PI of Silicon Deep Dive-critical role of binder and processing, funded by DOE-ABR;
- PI of high energy density flow batteries, funded by LDRD
- PI of high voltage redox shuttles, funded by Daimler
2012.1~2016 Assistant Materials Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory
- PI of Development of redox active materials for redox flow batteries, funded by JCESR
- PI of Silicon Deep Dive-Binder development, funded by DOE-ABR;
70+ Peer-reviewed Publications
Journals: Advanced Functional Materials, Journal of Power Sources, Advanced Energy Materials, ACS Energy Letters, Scientific Reports, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, J. Electrochem. Soc., Energy Environ. Sci.,Chem. Comm., J. Photochem. Photobio: A Chem., etc.
30 Patents and inventions
Topic: polymeric binders, battery processing, redox shuttles, and flow batteries, electrolyte
Topic: Redox shuttles and silicon anodes.
R&D 100 award finalist of 2015
Winner of R&D 100 of 2014