Marcia Wood is the Group Leader of the Information Solutions and Technology Assurance group at the Center for Nanoscale Materials. Her team is responsible for providing technical support for the networks, servers, storage and desktop computer systems as well as the development of all database applications. Marcia’s strengths lie in working integrally with diverse teams as well as in creating specifications. She does this by understanding the needs of researchers and management, and translating them into language the programmers can use to build the myriad of database applications that are in place, and continually evolving, at CNM.
During her thirty-eight years at Argonne, Marcia has held various management positions including Manager of Information Solutions at the Advanced Photon Source user facility. While there, she played a key role in the development of their Central User Facility (CUF) registration system, General User Proposal (GUP) system, and Experiment Safety Approval Form (ESAF) processes. Using the expertise gained at the APS, she helped create similar systems at the CNM user facility including a proposal submission system and User Work Approval (UWA) system for work planning and control purposes.
B.S. Computer Science, University of St. Francis
Awards, Honors and Governance
- Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program, University of Chicago Booth School of Business (2011)
- Argonne National Laboratory Outstanding Service Award (2013)
- Argonne Director’s Award (2004)
- Argonne Pacesetter Award
- August 1989, September 1992, June 1999, July 2003, September 2003, August 2009, April 2014, May 2014, July 2016
- Technical Editor of the Midwest Oracle User Group (MOUG) newsletter (1993 - 1994)