Dr. Raju Kumal is a postdoctoral appointee at Separation Science group in Chemical Sciences and Engineering (CSE) division at Argonne National Laboratory. He received his Ph.D. from Louisiana State University, where he used ultrafast and non-linear spectroscopy to study interfacial chemistry, molecular adsorption, and excited-state relaxation dynamics of colloidal nanoparticles. Dr. Kumal also worked as a postdoctoral scholar at Penn State University where he carried out several research on the synthesis and characterization of carbon-based nanomaterials such as graphene and conductive carbon black. His current research at Argonne National Laboratory is focused primarily on the investigation of molecular structure and dynamics at aqueous interfaces using vibrational sum frequency generation spectroscopy to understand the mechanism for the separation of heavy metals in liquid-liquid extraction.
- Postdoctoral Appointee, CSE, Argonne National Laboratory (2020-Present)
- Postdoctoral Scholar, EMS Energy Institute, Penn State University (2019-2020)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Georgia Southern University (2018-2019)
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge (2017)
- M.S. Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Nepal (2010)
- Nayak, S.; Kumal, R. R.; Liu, Z.; Qiao, B.; Clark, A.; Uysal, A., Origins of Clustering of Metalate-Extractant Complexes in Liquid-Liquid Extraction. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2021, 13, 24194–24206
- Kumal, R. R.; Abu-Laban, M.; Hamal, P.; Kruger, B.; Hayes, D. J.; Haber, L. H. Near Infrared Photothermal Release of siRNA from the Surface of Gold-Silver-Gold Core-Shell-Shell Nanoparticles Studied with Second Harmonic Generation. J. Phys. Chem. C, 2018.
- Kumal, R. R.; Nguyen H.; Winter J.; McCarley R. L.; Haber L. H. Impacts of Salt, Buffer, and Lipid Nature on Molecular Adsorption and Transport in Liposomes as Observed by Second Harmonic Generation. J. Phys. Chem. C 2017.
- Kumal, R. R.; Abu-Laban, M.; Landry, C. R.; Kruger, B.; Zhang. Z.; Hayes, D. J.; Haber, L. H. Plasmon-Enhanced Photocleaving Dynamics in Colloidal MicroRNA-Functionalized Silver Nanoparticles Monitored with Second Harmonic Generation. Langmuir 2016.
- Kumal, R. R.; Karam, T. E.; Haber, L. H. Determination of the Surface Charge Density of Colloidal Gold Nanoparticles Using Second Harmonic Generation. J. Phys. Chem. C 2015.
- Kumal, R. R.; Landry, C. R.; Abu-Laban, M.; Hayes, D. J.; Haber, L. H. Monitoring the Photocleaving Dynamics of Colloidal MicroRNA-Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles Using Second Harmonic Generation. Langmuir 2015.