I am a Principal Investigator in the Materials Science Division, leading the works on ferroelectric and multiferroic materials and activities related to the scanning probe microscopy. I invented the Layer Transfer Technique to create freestanding ultrathin films of single-crystalline complex oxide materials. I have deep experience in semiconductor, ferroic, and superconducting materials and devices. My current research is mostly focused on exploring local electronic, piezoelectric and thermal properties of freestanding complex oxide materials that can be utilized in beyond-CMOS microelectronic logic, memory and sensing devices. My ongoing research also encompasses 2-D and binary oxide ferroelectric materials and emerging electromechanical phenomena that arise due to the intricate structure-polarization relationship.
- 2017-present: Assistant Materials Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory
- 2013-2017: Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
- 2012-2013: JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, Kyushu University, Japan
- Ph.D. National University of Singapore, 2011
- B.Sc. Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), 2005
Ferroelectric materials, freestanding complex oxides, beyond-CMOS microelectronic memory, scanning probe microscopy
Ten Highlight Publications (over 1050 citations combined for best 10 papers; * indicates the corresponding author)
(10) S. R. Bakaul*, S. Prokhorenko, Q. Zhang, Y. Nahas, Y. Hu, L. Bellaiche, A. Petford-Long, N. Valanoor, Freestanding ferroelectric bubble domains, Advanced Materials 2105432 (2021).
(9) S. R. Bakaul*, Electrical characterization of freestanding complex oxide ferroelectrics: artifacts and experimental precautions, AIP Advances 11, 115310 (2021). (Featured as Editor’s Pick).
(8) M. Abuwasib, C. R. Serrao, L. Stan, S. Salahuddin, S. R. Bakaul*, “Tunneling electroresistance effects in epitaxial complex oxides on silicon”, Applied Physics Letters 116, 032902 (2020). [Featured Article, Editor’s Pick]
(7) S. R. Bakaul*, J. Kim, S. Hong, M. J Cherukara, T. Zhou, L. Stan, C. R. Serrao, S. Salahuddin, A. K. Petford‐Long, D. D Fong, M. V. Holt, “Ferroelectric domain wall motion in freestanding single‐crystal complex oxide thin film,”, Advanced Materials 32, 1907036 (2019).
(6) M. Abuwasib, C. R. Serrao, L. Stan, S. Salahuddin, S. R. Bakaul*, Tunneling electroresistance in epitaxial complex oxides on silicon, Applied Physics Letters 116, 032902 (2020). (Featured as Editor’s Pick) https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5133081
(5) J. W. Adkins, I. Fina, F. Sanchez, S. R. Bakaul*, J. T. Abiade, Thermal evolution of ferroelectric behavior in epitaxial Hf0.5Zr0.5O2, Applied Physics Letters 117, 142902 (2020).
(4) S. R. Bakaul, C. Serrao, O. J. Lee, Z. Lu, A. Yadav, C. Carraro, R. Maboudian, ” High-speed epitaxial perovskite memory on flexible substrate”, R. Ramesh and S. Salahuddin, Advanced Materials 29, 1605699 (2017).
(3) S. R. Bakaul, C. R. Serrao, M. Lee, L. You, C. W. Yeung, A. Sarker, S.-L. Hsu, A. Yadav, A. I. Khan, J. D. Clarkson, C. Hu, R. Ramesh, S. Salahuddin, “Single-crystal functional oxides on silicon,” Nature Communications 7, 10547 (2016).
(2) A. I. Khan, K. Chatterjee, B. Wang, S. Drapcho, L. You, C. Serrao, S. R. Bakaul, R. Ramseh, and S. Salahuddin, “Negative capacitance in a ferroelectric capacitor”, Nature Materials 14, 182 (2014).
(1) S. R. Bakaul, B. L. Wu, G.C. Han, and Y.H. Wu, “Probing magnetization reversal in ferromagnetic disk by superconductor-ferromagnet junction”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 042503 (2010).