I joined the Synchrotron Studies of Materials group in the fall of 2019, after completing my PhD under Margaret Murnane and Henry Kapteyn at the University of Colorado, Boulder. My expertise is in ultrafast lasers, coherent diffraction of short wavelength light, nanoscale effects on thermal and elastic properties, and high harmonic generation. My research interests include phononic metamaterials, nanomaterials, non-diffusive thermal transport, ultrafast dynamics, coherent x-ray diffraction and imaging, quantum sensing, and advanced and multimodal measurement techniques.
I currently work jointly with the Synchrotron Studies of Materials group, the Heremans group (Center for Molecular Engineering), and the Wen group (APS X-ray Science Division) bringing together quantum materials, coherent x-rays, and ultrafast lasers. Using both synchrotron and XFEL measurements, I am working to both inform materials development, and establish new metrology techniques that will leverage the enhanced coherence of APS-U.
- T. D. Frazer, J. L. Knobloch, K. M. Hoogeboom-Pot, D. Nardi, W. Chao, R. W. Falcone, M. M. Murnane, H. C. Kapteyn, and J. N. Hernández-Charpak, “Engineering nanoscale thermal transport: Size- and spacing-dependent cooling of nanostructures”, Physical Review Applied 11(2), 024042 (2019).
- F. Bencivenga, R. Mincigrucci, F. Capotondi, L. Foglia, D. Naumenko, A. A. Maznev, E. Pedersoli, A. Simoncig, F. Caporaletti, V. Chiloyan, R. Cucini, F. Dallari, R. A. Duncan, T. D. Frazer, G. Gaio, A. Gessini, L. Giannessi, S. Huberman H. Kapteyn, J. Knobloch, G. Kurdi, N. Mahne, M. Manfredda, A. Martinelli, M. Murnane, E. Principi, L. Raimondi, S. Spampinati, C. Spezzani, M. Trovò, M. Zangrando, G. Chen, G. Monaco, K.A. Nelson, and C. Masciovecchio, “Nanoscale transient gratings excited and probed by extreme ultraviolet femtosecond pulses”, Science Advances 5(7), eaaw5805 (2019).
- A. Maznev, F. Bencivenga, A. Cannizzo, F. Capotondi, R. Cucini, R. A. Duncan, T. Feurer, T. D. Frazer, L. Foglia, H.-M. Frey, H. Kapteyn, J. Knobloch, G. Knopp, C. Masciovecchio, R. Mincigrucci, G. Monaco, M. Murnane, I. Nikolov, E. Pedersoli, A. Simoncig, A. Vega-Flick, and K. A. Nelson, “Generation of coherent phonons by coherent extreme ultraviolet radiation in a transient grating experiment,” Applied Physics Letters 113(22), 221905 (2018).
- R. M. Karl, G. F. Mancini, J. L. Knobloch, T. D. Frazer, J. N. Hernández-Charpak, B. Abad, D. F. Gardner, E. R. Shanblatt, M. Tanksalvala, C. L. Porter, C. S. Bevis, D. E. Adams, H. C. Kapteyn, and M. M. Murnane, “Full-field imaging of thermal and acoustic dynamics in an individual nanostructure using tabletop high harmonic beams,” Science Advances 4(10), eaau4295 (2018).
- J. N. Hernández-Charpak, K. M. Hoogeboom-Pot, Q. Li, T. D. Frazer, J. L. Knobloch, M. Tripp, S. W. King, E. H. Anderson, W. Chao, M. M. Murnane, H. C. Kapteyn, and D. Nardi, “Full Characterization of the Mechanical Properties of 11–50 nm Ultrathin Films: Influence of Network Connectivity on the Poisson’s Ratio,” Nano Letters 17(4), 2178–2183 (2017).