Argonne’s waste management strategy focuses on waste minimization, recycling and material substitution. These efforts save money, increase regulatory compliance, improve efficiency and benefit the environment. Waste management initiatives include:
- All-in-one recycling to allow paper, plastic, metal and glass to be comingled in one recycling bin
- Solid waste characterization to identify opportunities for diverting more waste from landfills
- Electronics recycling for all campus e-waste.
- Composting of organic material including cafeteria food scrap, landscape waste and paper towels
- Recycling construction and demolition waste from building, roadway and site improvement projects
- Site-wide programs for recycling batteries, light-bulbs, scrap metal and obsolete equipment
- Water fountain upgrades to reduce plastic waste and promote tap water.
Argonne is on track to achieve our goal of 50% waste diversion of non-hazardous material by 2025.