Argonne provides a dynamic suite of solutions to support movement of employees, site users, and visitors to and within our campus. We are committed to providing mobility solutions that are efficient, environmentally friendly and cost effective.
We are leveraging technology, regional resources and innovative mobility solutions to further advance our sustainability goals and help attract and retain the best talent.
Our key focus areas to improve mobility solutions include:
- Improving travel between downtown Chicago, Hyde Park, and Argonne
- Enhancing green commuting support, including access to rideshare, electric vehicle charging stations, and last-mile connections
- Improving onsite mobility solutions, including enhanced shared-use mobility options
- Increasing green fleet efforts, including zero-emission vehicles, shared-use vehicles, and communications
We promote transportation services that are shared among users, which reduces cost, provides more mobility choice, reduces traffic congestion and air pollution, and improves efficiency. These include:
- Rideshare program for ride matching and commute tracking, through Argonne Carpool Connect
- Vanpooling, with pre-tax savings program
- RTA Trip Planner to take advantage of regional mass transit options
- Shuttle for collaborations between Argonne and the University of Chicago
- Onsite bikeshare, open to employees and visitors
To encourage green commuting, we provide reserved parking spaces across campus for high-efficiency vehicles (HEVs), carpools and vanpools.
Flexible work schedules and technology resources
We promote safety, reduce environmental impact and support work/life balance with robust programs that decrease roadway and air miles from commuting and work travel, including:
- Working from home as work allows through telecommuting
- Alternative work schedules to compress work into fewer days or shift work hours to meet individual needs
- Teleconferencing and videoconferencing to connect work teams and share information without needing to travel
Electric vehicle charging program
Argonne is a leader in workplace electric vehicle (EV) charging, providing a robust network of charging stations across the site open to all employees for a monthly fee.
Active campus culture promotes health and sustainability
At Argonne, we incorporate health and safety into everything we do. We promote walking and biking for wellness benefits and as an environmentally friendly way to get around the laboratory. The laboratory’s 1,500 acres of woodland, wetland and prairie habitat provide visual interest while walking to meetings or the cafeteria.
Our Bikeshare Program provides 120 bicycles for environmentally friendly transportation or fitness from April through October.
Continued success by greening the fleet
Argonne has met and exceeded all sustainability goals related to fleet transportation, reducing petroleum use and increasing alternate fuel use. Today about 90% of fleet vehicles have been converted to bio-based and electric fuel, which has led to a 25% reduction in fuel use from non-roadway vehicles and equipment since 2005.