New high-tech materials are the key to breakthroughs in biology, the environment, nuclear energy, transportation and national security. Argonne continues to make revolutionary advances in the science of materials discovery and synthesis, and is designing new materials with advantageous properties — one atom at a time. Examples of these include Argonne’s patented technologies for nanoparticle applications, heat transfer and materials for advanced energy storage.
Nano Design Works (NDW) capitalizes on the power of nanotechnology and provides services to strengthen its impact. With expertise in nanomaterials, computing, chemistry, materials, and energy systems, along with its world-class facilities, Argonne is a perfect match for companies looking to make a big impact with tiny materials.
Argonne works with existing and start-up businesses to license our technologies and to develop, analyze, and test new technology. Please contact email@example.com to explore how you and Argonne can work together.
- A self-renewing, exceptionally hard and slick metal coating with excellent wear protection for use in multiple industries
- Allows for easy and rapid glovebox resource changes, while maintaining containment
- Can be mounted in existing glove ports, offering an array of fail-safe cartridges for all resource needs
- A low-cost, scalable process for increasing structural stability and cell capacity of battery electrodes
- Creates an ultra-thin film that allows lithium ions and electrons to easily tunnel without a large increase in impedance
- Functions as a dry lubricant, reducing wear four-fold and friction six-fold
- Cost-competitive with oil-based lubricants; may replace oil-based lubricants in some applications
- Excellent frequency stability; provides a strategy for optimizing and engineering micro- and nanoscale devices
- Easy to fabricate at reduced cost
- A stable, non-reactive nanofluid that exhibits enhanced heat transfer properties
- Enables more productive and efficient cooling systems
- Offers high conductivity and protection against oxidation
- Low-cost process
- Allows for targeting, initiation and control of in vitro and in vivo chemical reactions in biological molecules
- Commercial applications include synthetic DNA/RNA endonucleases, gene surgery, targeted cell metabolic intervention and more
- Increases detection capabilities of SEMs at the nanoscale by up to 500%
- Reduces the time and cost of routine nanomaterials analysis
- Technology for recovering oil and other petroleum products from bodies of water that surpasses similar technologies that are currently on the market in several key aspects
- Accurately measure coating thermal conductivity and heat capacity (and/or thickness) distributions over an entire component’s surface
- Only method that can analyze coatings of more than one layer
Tunable Resistance Coatings
- Compositions of matter and methods of manufacture of M:AlOx thin films having tunable resistance where M=W, Mo, or conducting compounds containing these metals
- The coatings can be tuned to the produce the appropriate resistivity needed by a particular application.
Tunable Resistance Coating
- A method and article of manufacture of intermixed tunable resistance composite materials containing at least one of W:Al.sub.2O.sub.3, Mo:Al.sub.2O.sub.3 or M:Al.sub.2O.sub.3 where M is a conducting compound containing either W or Mo.