The Chicago Area Chapter of the Association for Women in Science (AWIS Chicago) was founded in 1978 as a local chapter of the national organization. We proudly recognize that Argonne National Laboratory’s women scientists and engineers helped initiate the formation of the AWIS Chicago chapter 40 years ago. AWIS is a non-profit organization dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all areas of science, technology and engineering. Our national organization has over 5000 women scientists and other individuals who support women in science.
Anniversary celebration highlights:
- Presentation of the inaugural Pioneer Woman Award to Argonne Emeritus Biophysicist Marianne Schiffer, who is also an established supporter and mentor of women in STEM.
- “Overcoming Imposter Syndrome” – a workshop presented by leadership from AWIS National
- Engaging and inspirational speakers, including:
- Kawtar Hafidi, Ph.D., Physics Division Director, at Argonne and AWIS member
- Jackie Lomax, Executive Director and CEO, Girls 4 Science, a non-profit organization that addresses the lack of accessible quality science programs for female youth in the Chicagoland area.
- Networking and time to mingle with other supporters of women in STEM
- Refreshments and cake
For questions, email email@example.com.