Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists and engineers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. To help slow the spread of COVID-19, access to Argonne’s Lemont, Illinois campus is currently limited. Please ensure that you have been approved for access before traveling to Argonne.
Before You Arrive
- Register for your Visitor Gate Pass and review our Site Entry Requirements.
- If you are visiting one of our User facilities, please review the User Facility Badge Requirements.
- Please note that you will need identification to enter the lab.
- Effective October 1, 2021, everyone 18 and older will require a REAL ID to enter the site.
- Consider installing the Argonne mobile app on your smartphone. It includes the COVID-19 Self-Assessment daily checklist, site maps, and more.
Cancel or Postpone Your Visit If:
- You are ill.
- You answer yes to any of the questions on the COVID-19 Self-Assessment daily checklist. The self-assessment checklist should be performed the morning of every day you plan to be on site.
- You have traveled from or through a foreign country for which the CDC has issued a Warning Level 3 notice (avoid all non-essential travel) within the last 15 days.
When You Arrive
- The Argonne Information Center is where you’ll get the identification badge you need to access the laboratory site.
- Argonne is dedicated to protecting visitors to our campus. Every visitor watches a two-minute training video about how to protect oneself and others while on campus.
While You Are Here
Gate Pass and Badge Identification
While on Laboratory property, all individuals are required to wear their Gate Pass conspicuously, photo side out, in a location above the waist and on the front of the body.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols
While on the Argonne site, you must:
- Wear a face covering, except when alone in a personal office, when in a personal workspace and able to maintain social distancing, or when alone outdoors.
- Maintain a six-foot social distance from others at all times.
- Respect capacity limits in meeting rooms and other public areas, and do not share rides with Lab employees, users or other visitors.
- If you become ill while on site, stay away from others and immediately call the COVID-19 question line. The phone number will be provided to you on a lanyard card when you receive your gate pass. The line is staffed 24/7. If you become short of breath, call 911 immediately.
Argonne has invited its employees to join in a commitment to take care of themselves and others by following simple health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visitors are also encouraged to read and commit to the Argonne Health Pact.
Signs posted at all Laboratory entrances delineate prohibited articles that cannot be introduced to the site (e.g., firearms, dangerous weapons, destructive devices, explosives/incendiary devices, radioactive sources, open containers of alcoholic beverages, drugs, and pets or other animals).
Rules of the Road
All individuals operating a motor vehicle onsite must adhere to all Illinois Rules of the Road. Helmets are required for all motorcycle and bicycle traffic.