Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists and engineers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. To help slow the spread of COVID-19, access to Argonne’s Lemont, Illinois campus is currently limited. Please ensure that you have been approved for access before traveling to Argonne.
Before You Arrive
- Register for your Visitor Gate Pass and review our Site Entry Requirements.
- If you are visiting one of our User facilities, review the User Facility Badge Requirements.
- Note that you will need identification to enter the Lab.
Cancel or Postpone Your Visit If:
- You are ill.
- You answer yes to any of the questions on the COVID-19 Self-Assessment (Pre-Entry and Daily Checklist). The self-assessment should be performed the morning of every day you plan to be on site.
When You Arrive
COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols for Visitors
Argonne is committed to helping protect the health and safety of those who visit our site. All essential business visitors must be approved by Argonne’s Chief Operating Officer and the Argonne Site Office. Please confirm with your host that your visit has been approved prior to arriving at Argonne.
All individuals must:
- Provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Visitor will receive a gate pass valid for their approved visit duration. Argonne accepts printed or digital copies of all vaccines approved by the World Health Organization.
- Provide proof of a vaccine exemption from their employer or home institution AND proof of enrollment in a COVID-19 screening program through their employer or home institution that tests at least weekly. Visitor will receive a gate pass valid for their approved visit duration or the duration of their exemption, whichever is sooner. Proof of exemption and weekly screening program enrollment consists of a printed or digital copy of a letter on employer or home institution letterhead addressed to the individual by name.
- Provide proof of a vaccine exemption from their employer or home institution AND negative results from a COVID-19 test conducted within 72 hours of site access. Visitor will receive a gate pass valid for up to three days, based on the date of the test result and approved visit duration.
- Proof of exemption consists of a printed or digital copy of a letter on employer or home institution letterhead addressed to the individual by name.
- If a visitor’s approved visit duration exceeds the expiration date on the gate pass, the visitor will need to take another COVID-19 test and provide proof of a negative result at the Argonne Information Center to renew the gate pass.
- Argonne will accept printed or digital test results from either a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or a rapid antigen test performed by a health care provider no more than 72 hours prior to entry. Results from at-home testing kits do not meet Argonne standards. COVID-19 testing for visitors is not available on site.
- The above conditions are subject to duration of exemption.
Argonne does not require booster shots for any COVID-19 vaccines at this time.
The laboratory will continue to update its site access policies based on the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Follow all safety protocols posted by the Lab, including guidance on face coverings and social distancing.
Respect capacity limits in meeting rooms and other public areas.
If you become ill while on site, stay away from others and immediately call the COVID-19 Question Line. The phone number will be provided to you on a lanyard card when you receive your gate pass. If you become short of breath, call 911 immediately.
Argonne has invited its employees to join in a commitment to take care of themselves and others by following simple health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visitors are also encouraged to read and commit to the Argonne Health Pact.
- The Argonne Information Center is where you’ll get the identification badge you need to access the laboratory site.
- Argonne is dedicated to protecting visitors to our campus. Every visitor watches a two-minute training video about how to protect oneself and others while on campus.
While You Are Here
Gate Pass and Badge Identification
While on Laboratory property, all individuals are required to wear their Gate Pass conspicuously, photo side out, in a location above the waist and on the front of the body.
Signs posted at all Laboratory entrances delineate prohibited articles that cannot be introduced to the site (e.g., firearms, dangerous weapons, destructive devices, explosives/incendiary devices, radioactive sources, open containers of alcoholic beverages, drugs, and pets or other animals).
Rules of the Road
All individuals operating a motor vehicle onsite must adhere to all Illinois Rules of the Road. Helmets are required for all motorcycle and bicycle traffic.