Appointments are provided to graduate students for the sole purpose of collaboration and use of laboratory resources to benefit the student’s thesis research, not for the benefit of Argonne.
Participants will be provided with a gate pass and may visit Argonne whenever appropriate.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation required.
- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution.
- 18 years or older at the time the appointment begins.
- Research Agreement (Graduate Students funded by U.S. government grant or contract) OR Research Agreement (Graduate Students funded by source other than U.S. government grant or contract).
- Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
NOTE: The laboratory is tentatively planning for student programs to be fully onsite during Summer 2023. However, a student’s workplace may shift to a hybrid or virtual status contingent upon local COVID infection rates. Student candidates will be notified of changes in the lab’s operational status at the time of offer and/or during their appointment.
Visiting Student Program for Graduate Students
Travel expenses, lodging, and/or some per diem for performing research away from a home institution may be reimbursed for up to one year if the participant attends school more than 50 miles away. After twelve consecutive months of reimbursement, participants are no longer eligible for any type of reimbursement. Reimbursement is determined by the hiring division in accordance with laboratory policy. All travel arrangements must be made by the hiring division in order to receive any reimbursement.