Through the leadership of WIST, Argonne annually offers immersive youth conferences catering to STEM-engaged female students. Women in Science and Technology (WIST) serves to attract, maintain, and build a professional workforce of women scientists and engineers by encouraging young women to develop and pursue STEM pathways.
At Argonne, WIST yearly facilitates two all-day conferences for young women to discover and explore their interests in science and engineering:
Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day – An engineering-focused opportunity open to 8th-grade girls. Participants will get the chance to:
- Enjoy motivational presentations by women scientists and engineers.
- Connect with Argonne mentors.
Science Careers in Search of Women – Covering all areas of Argonne’s mission science, this conference is open to high school girls. Participants will get the chance to:
- Meet over 50 different scientists and engineers.
- Participate in motivational presentations.
- Contribute in career panel discussions.
- Engage with working professionals at the career booth exhibit.
- Discuss research posters presented by scientists and engineers.
- Complete individual career and leadership assessments.